chapter four

Turns out I was wrong more often than I thought. My parents weren't home when I arrived, but maybe I did that on purpose. Having to say goodbye and close the door behind them wasn't something I felt strong enough to do today. It's not that my parents were excited to leave me here all alone. They were always thrilled to travel together, to be together and have loads of adventures.

My parents were soulmates, I knew that.

And growing up, I had a weird feeling that I was just part of the traditional ideals of a perfect family. They were in love, owned a home and a baby just made sense... but I always had the suspicion they would've been just as happy without me hanging around.

I discovered my mother's to-do list by the front door.

Her list included:

1. Water the plants

2. Gather more toadstool

3. Pet the singing tree until its leaves shake

4. Feed Nibbler and Daisy twice a day

5. No house parties

That last rule was a joke.

I didn't know enough people for a house party. Maybe a closet party. Or a single-bath soiree. My parents really thought they were comedians.

With a sigh, I sat on the ground and in seconds, my sleek black cat Nibbler sauntered over, running her cheek across my knee. Absentmindedly, I stroked her fur and scrolled through my phone. The little creature underneath my fingers vibrated like she was full of happy bees.

I thought about texting David to apologize for being a crazy person, but Jeremy's picture appeared on my screen.

The picture was awful.

That was why I loved it.

Jeremy's usually purposely tussled blonde locks were twisted in bed hair and frizzy. He had just woken up, pre-coffee and in the middle of brushing his teeth. He was making a twisted face at the camera that read he did not want this picture taken. I held onto this picture like it was made of gold.

I checked Jeremy's text:

JEREMY: [I missed you at practice. Everyone said you left suddenly]

CALVIN: [Oh yeah, I just wanted to get home in time to say goodbye]

My phone buzzed again, but it wasn't another text from Jeremy.

It was from David.

DAVID: [Answer the phone]

Barely a second later, my phone rang, and I jumped to my feet, scaring Nibbler enough to make her hair poofy. My stomach flopped and I held my phone out as if there was someone else around to answer it. This sounded bad... but it was David. My heart still wasn't ready for the inevitable confrontation. Honestly, I was hoping to pretend nothing was wrong until I died.

I ripped the Band-Aid and answered. "H-hello?"

"Hey, Cal," David's velvet voice trickled out of the receiver. Somehow his voice was deeper over the phone and it made my neck hair stand at attention. "Is your house too quiet?"

"Hm?"

"Your house. It's empty, right? Turn on some music or let the TV run..." Listening to David, I walked into the kitchen and turned on the TV my dad liked to let play. I left the HGTV & Alchemy channel play. Some family was debating settling for their dream house in the trees, but they'd have to live next to a neighborhood of giants. They debated transmuting the house into something that could fly over the giants' heads, but it wasn't really in the budget.