xi. family dinner

[a/n: italicized text indicates high valyrian dialogue]

LATER THAT EVENING, the greens and the blacks joined together for a family dinner that was requested by King Viserys. Now that his whole family was in King's Landing for the first time in 6-7 years, he wanted to have dinner together as one. Visenya thought to herself she would be enjoying this more if Alicent and her father weren't there. Neither of them has Targaryen blood, which to Visenya meant they shouldn't be here. She didn't care that Alicent was the Queen and Otto was the Hand, she didn't want them there.

There was a large gap of space between Alicent and Rhaenyra's places at the table for Viserys was going to be sitting between them. Daemon sat on the other side of his wife, Visenya was next to her father and at the end of the table. Next to her and across from Daemon was Luke, next to Luke was Rhaena, next to Rhaena was Baela, next to Baela was Jace, next to Jace was Aegon, next to Aegon was Helaena, at the other end of the table, directly across from Visenya was Aemond. Next to Aemond was Otto Hightower, and finally Alicent was next to her father.

The servants brought the food out and set the table as the family waited for Viserys to arrive. Once they heard the tap of his cane, everyone stood from their seats as Viserys entered. When Viserys was placed in his spot, between his wife and eldest daughter, everyone else sat down.

"How good it is, to see you all tonight... together," Viserys said. Alicent turned to her husband.

"Prayer before we begin?" She asked.

"Yes," Viserys said as he nodded.

"May the Mother smile down on this gathering with love. May the Smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long. And to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest," Alicent said. Visenya couldn't help it, she started laughing at the end of Alicent's prayer, when she mentioned Vaemond. Why would she want the man who called her and her brothers bastards and called her mother a whore to find rest?

Rhaenyra looked at her daughter and shook her head while Alicent cut a sharp look to Visenya, who only met Alicent's gaze with her own glare of hatred. Aemond bit down on his lip to keep from laughing as he watched the interaction.

"This is an occasion for celebration, it seems. My grandsons, Jace and Luke, will marry their cousins, Baela and Rhaena. Further strengthening the bond between our houses. A toast to the young Princes... and their betrothed." Viserys said. Everyone raised their cups of wine toward the two pairings.

"Hear, hear!" Daemon said as he raised his glass.

"Well done, Jace. You'll finally get to lie with a woman," Aegon whispered to him. Baela rolled her eyes while Jace turned to his uncle.

"Let us toast as well to Prince Jacaerys... the future Lord of the Tides," Viserys said.

"Hear, hear," Rhaenyra said as they all raised their glasses again.