00| Prologue

The world beyond ours seemed so far away in modern times. The things that roam around at night or the ones who people claim are there to watch over us. There was a veil between our world and the next. But that didn't stop special people from causing the tiniest of tears to reach what was on the other side.

They brought it with them, played with it and created new kinds of theories that went against the laws of physics. Things that only would be seen as believable if one was there to witness it. It's all around us, waiting to be used by the right person. Magic could only be harnessed by those who were truly capable.

There was a  large building that blocked a cool breeze from passing through; the full moon illuminated what artificial light could not. There were growls and snarls coming from around a building. Those who needed extra help during this one night a month, were placed safely inside locked bedrooms. The hospital was made to house these kind of people when they were in pain. However, specially trained guards still monitored the halls in case of emergencies.

The doctor who created the hospital walked briskly down the halls. His hair and beard were riddled with gray. But his stern face showcased that the man couldn't have been older than 50. He had two people flanking him: a man, who walked with arrogance and a woman whose heels clicked on the floor.

"Here you are, sir." The woman handed the doctor a manila folder.

"He's been here for years," The guard began. "Don't know why he keeps coming back if he usually doesn't show signs of pain."

The man walking behind the doctor flinched as one of the room doors suddenly thrashed.

"He's a homeless man who gets a free bed. If they could, they'd stay longer." The doctor scolded.

"Alison, go make sure everything is ready. We'll be down in a bit." The assistant gave her boss a dazed smile and walked away to do as told.

They finally came to a stop at a door. The patient box was empty seeing as the doctor held the manila file folder.

"He should be fine to do what you need, but as you know, he is still more than likely in pain." The guard explained.

"It won't really matter for long." The arrogant man whispered.

No one paid him any attention. The guard moved to unlock the door and they passed through the threshold.

The specially made rooms were meant to be barren, with only a cot and a blanket that was administered upon arrival. Some people tend to get aggressive and break things while in pain, so it was best to not have anything of value in the rooms. The patient, Bruce Wickshaw, was huddled on the cold floor with the blanket wrapped around him. It seemed as though the man was otherwise fine, but looking closer one could see his tense muscles.

"Good evening, Mr. Wickshaw. I'm Dr. Urias Morren. I've come to speak to you about an experiment you applied to."

Urias only got a grunt in response.

"If you choose to participate, we will allow you to stay longer."

Bruce only looked at the group. The homeless man took a moment to look at everyone before ultimately deciding to come to a stand.

"Good. Follow me then."

Urias turned around and walked out the room. All four of them had made it back to the lobby of the special hospital. Urias lead them towards the maintenance section, stopping at the door and turning to the guard.

"Thank you for your assistance. I can take it from here." He told them.

The guard gave a smile and nod of their head.