01| Cold Hands

There was a bristle of fur, soft to the touch but soaked in blood. The scene had passed behind Luz's eyes, her brain telling her to wake up.

The woman looked around her surroundings, making sure she knew where she was. She was back in the dining room of the home she worked in. There was humming coming from in front of her. Luz smiled softly at the impatient boy who was intently staring at the food she had on a baby spoon.

"Sorry, Javi." She whispered.

Luz began to move the spoon back towards the little boy but froze as a shiver ran down her spine. Her head snapped to the side.

"Drop it, Niki." The little girl in question groaned loudly.

With a pout on her lips she dropped the chocolate spread croissant back onto the plate of desserts.

The 19-year-old grinned smugly. She gave the girl the side eye, before returning back to giving the spoonful of chopped fruit to Javi.

Niki begrudgingly stomped her way to the dining table, moving to sit in a chair.

"How am I supposed to be good at anything if you always catch me?" She slumped down into the chair, dejected.

"Maybe I'm just that good." Luz snickered.

"Or you're a witch." Niki playfully glared.

She flinched when Luz gasped loudly.

"How'd you know!?" The woman exclaimed.

"Now I have to eat you, so you don't tell anyone." Luz lunged for Niki, stuffing her face in the little girl's neck.

Niki giggled as Luz tickled her. They had all settled down after a few seconds, Luz going back to feeding Javi. Niki reached over for some fruit Luz had placed on the table for the girl.

"Are you actually a witch?" Luz sighed, giving Niki a small smile.

"I could be." Luz told her. "We would never know, now would we?"

The little girl tilted her head, thinking to herself for a bit.

"Mom says we can know." Luz gave her a glance to show she was listening.

"She says a lot of people who live here come from magical creatures." Luz raised her brows.

"Do they now?" Niki nodded her head quickly. She sat up on her knees to speak closer with her nanny.

"Not everyone, but there's a lot of them here in Odacia. I have a friend who says she comes from a family who used to be mermaids." She exclaimed.

Luz chuckled at Niki's enthusiasm. "I've never met a family who came from mermaids."

She gave Javi the last spoonful of his snack, smiling at the loud humming noise he gave from the taste.

"They usually live near the ocean." Luz added. Niki nodded her head in agreement.

"Yeah, she said that's where she used to live." The girl sat back down into her seat. Luz smiled at her as she got up and began to clean up the children's snack time mess.

The water from the sink made Luz touch her fingers together, getting her nerves to calm down from earlier.

"Momma says we come from faeries." Niki spoke after a pause.

"Faeries?" Luz hummed. She rinsed the snack plates off, leaving the dishes to the side.

"Faeries are a lot like witches. They can use magic and cast spells." Luz explained.