Facing the storm

Phayu persuades his boy to stay home for the day as he himself takes a day off from work. It doesn't take much convincing because after the emotional outburst from the day before, Rain feels exhausted. He does feel slightly bad that he's the reason his boyfriend will be absent from work but he can't deny the fact that he loves the way his man pampers him. He basks in all the attention he gets.

"How are you feeling?" Phayu asks for the third time that day.

Rain is sitting on the couch, a soft blanket wrapped around his shoulders, phone in hand and a freshly brewed coffee in front of him on the table. Phayu walks up to him with a plate of different pieces of fruit. They're all neatly sliced in ready to eat parts.

"I'm okay." Rain answers and smiles warmly at his lover. "But I would feel even better if my husband would join me."

The boy's smile turns into a playful pout. It's all it takes to get the older man on the couch. He goes to sit next to him and softly guides him down so Rain can lay his head in his lap. He cards one hand through his hair and massages soothing circles over his back with the other. A satisfied sigh escapes the younger boy's lips which makes Phayu chuckle lightly.

"Better?" He asks.

Rain hums in response and gently rubs with his cheek against his leg.

"Stay still." Phayu warns him not unkindly. "I want you to rest, naughty boy."

The boy whines in protest but does as he is told.
They stay like that in comfortable silence for a while, just enjoying each other's company, neither of them wanting to break the peaceful atmosphere. Yet there are still questions that need to be answered. Feeling that his boy is relaxed and comfortable now, Phayu decides it's the right moment to ask him about the things he's been hiding from him.

"Rain..." he starts.

The boy in his arms can hear the seriousness in his voice and almost immediately stiffens.

"Don't worry." He says in hopes to keep him calm. "You did nothing wrong. But I do think we need to talk. Don't you?"

"I guess." Rain answers, his voice sounding small and uncertain.

"I just want to know what's been going on. Seeing you like that yesterday terrified me."

"I'm sorry!" The boy quickly interrupts him and tries to push himself up.

Phayu gently keeps him down and rubs his arm in comfort.

"You don't need to apologize, baby. I understand you have been going through a lot. Which for some reason you wanted to shoulder on your own. It's only natural that, at some point, something must give. I'm not blind, Rain. I've noticed something has been troubling you for a while now and I know your schoolwork can't be the reason. Not the entire reason anyway. You're quite a terrible liar, you know that. But I hoped you would open up about it eventually. I'm no longer waiting for you to come to me on your own though. I don't want a repeat of last night. My heart can't bear it." He admits in a soft tone, hoping that it doesn't sound like he's scolding him.

Rain stays silent and bites his lip. He's still laying down in Phayu's lap but his entire body is tense and one of his hands is clutching his man's leg. The relaxing ministrations of his boyfriend barely doing anything to calm his nerves.

"Don't you trust me?" Phayu asks a little unsure.

The boy is startled by how insecure his husband suddenly sounds. He briskly pushes himself up and looks at him in bewilderment.