3

"En garde!" Diego commanded his daughter.

María answered his challenge. She moved cautiously toward her father. Their swords clashed. They engaged each other in a sort of cat-and-mouse game for a few minutes. Finally, tired of waiting for an opening, she thrust her weapon towards his heart. She held back just enough so as not to harm him, only to touch his clothing. He expertly parried her maneuver.  She waited for an opening and tried again. Each time she tried to lunge at him, he parried her. When he tried to thrust his sword at her, she blocked him. Their fight was an ongoing battle of thrusts and parries with no one gaining an edge.

            All during their duel, María wondered what her father was thinking of her skills. Does he think I'm good enough? I hope my father gives me his blessing to become Zorro, but even if he does not I will still be Zorro. I hope he will help though. I do not want to go behind his back, but if I have to I will. This something that I know I must do.

            Unknown to María, her father was thinking things about her that would have made her proud. She is very good. Is this really my precious daughter that I am fencing with? I cannot believe this is my daughter. Maybe she is good enough to be Zorro. She has some really good skills.  She could change California forever, but Sofía would never agree to it, and I need more time to think about it.

            Bernardo was surprised himself. He could not believe this was the little girl that left for Spain a few years ago.

            After more than twenty minutes, the fight ended in what most would have considered a draw.

            "So how did I do, Father?"

            "You have developed some good skills, but you still have a long way to go." He knew that she did not have far to go in her fencing skills, but she did have much to learn about fighting desperados. Fencing was, after all, a gentleman's game.

            Some days later María was riding Bella Negra. She had been riding for a good while when she came upon Alberto practicing his fencing.

            "Alberto, trying to improve your skills?"

            "Hello, María. Yes, as a matter of fact I am. How are you?"

            "I'm doing well, thank you." 

            "Did you hear about Zorro's appearance at the cantina the other night?"

            "The outlaw?"

"He is no more outlaw than I am. Señor Zorro is a legend. How fantastic he was! Truly amazing with a sword!"

            "Is that why you are out here practicing with your sword?"

            "Well, it never hurts to improve one's skills. I might have to fight a bandito one day."

            "Zorro?"

            "No. I would never draw a sword on Señor Zorro. He fights for the common people."

            "I think he is nothing more than a common outlaw and just lucky with a sword."

            "Oh, María, you are wrong. He never harms the poor people, and he always fights against the dishonest government. You say he is lucky? The other night he fought three men at the same time. He went back and forth to each one. He was incredible. I have never seen anyone fight the way he did that night. He was excellent. The way he maneuvered his sword, I could not believe my eyes. All the señoritas adore him. He is so dashing."

            "I do not adore him. I think it is rather silly to be running around at night dressed up in a black cape and sword fighting. A person could get killed."

            "I think you are the only person who thinks this way. Surely you have heard about the good he has done for the people of California."

            "I do not know much that goes on. After all, I've been away for several years. I have much to learn about California."

            "I suppose so. Perhaps I could teach you," Alberto said as he smiled at her.

            "Perhaps. But I am not much interested in learning about some costumed desperado who runs around California at night. If you have more interesting facts to teach me, then I might like to learn some of what you know. Do be careful with that sword, Alberto. It is a dangerous weapon. Adiós."

            She turned her horse quickly and rode away. Several seconds passed before the stunned Alberto could reply to her departure.

            "Adiós, María. Hasta luego."

            As Maria rode away back to her hacienda again she thought about courting Alberto, but she knew that her father would tell her that Alberto would have to ask and Maria had her doubts that would ever happen. Alberto thought of Maria only as his friend and nothing more. He would never court her.