5

It was late in the afternoon when María returned from her daily ride. She was feeling more and more comfortable on Bella Negra.

            When she entered her hacienda she found her father sitting in his chair reading. He looked up when she came into the room.

            "Buenos dias, daughter. Have a nice ride?"

            "Yes, as always."

            "Your friend Alberto came by today."

            "He did, what ever for?"

            "It was quite an interesting visit."

            "What did he say?"

            "He asked permission to court you."

            Inside Maria wanted to jump for joy, but she held back her emotions.

            "He did?"

            "Yes."

            "Did you give him your permission?"

            "I told him I didn't have a problem with it, but that I would speak with you first before making a finial decision."

            "Thanks father."

            "Will you court him?"

            "I will think about it," She said then left the room.

            Maria went into her room and sat on her bed and thought about courting Alberto. She didn't know if she wanted Alberto to court her or not. Alberto was after all her best friend and she wasn't sure she wanted it anything more, but realized that her feelings for him were starting to blossom into more than just friendship and that scared Maria. She and Alberto had been friends most of their lives and she was afraid of courting him and losing her best friend.

            For the next couple of weeks Maria thought long and hard about courting Alberto. After several sleepless nights Maria finally made a decision. She told her father that she had decided to court him. Her father was pleased, he liked Alberto and knew that he was a fine young man.

            Late one afternoon when Maria came in from her daily ride she found her father, who was alone in the study reading. María sat down, and for a few moments there was silence. It was so quiet that one could almost hear the books talking. Then her father broke the silence.

            "María, I have been going to the cantina for the last few weeks and I have heard people talking about the great deeds of Zorro and his recent activity. I cannot believe what I hear. It is amazing."

            "Alberto has told me about that also."

            "Did he tell you about the exciting sword play going on?"

            "Yes, I think he mentioned something about that."

            "It appears that you have proven yourself as an accomplished swordsman. I am proud of you."

            María never thought she would never hear these words from her father. She felt like dancing.        

            "Thank you, Father."

            "I think you could really help California, but you cannot reveal your identity, and you should never speak. People think Zorro is a man, and it needs to stay that way. No one must ever know that Zorro is a woman."

            "I think I can keep that secret."

            "Make sure you do."

            "I cannot believe mother agreed to let me."

            "Your mother did not agree. She simply said that she would not stand in your way or my way to help you improve. She also said that she would not give her blessing to this. I hope you understand her feelings."

            "Perhaps in time I will be able to convince her that this is the right thing for me to do."

            "Perhaps," her father said, but secretly he had his doubts about that.