Chapter 4

Henry was still asleep when Ezra returned to the house. He washed his hands then washed the ring and went back to the living room. Ezra sat beside Henry on the couch and studied the ring, turning it over and over in his fingers. The knot in his gut made him queasy as he wondered how a woman's ring ended up in the pig pen.

Maybe it belonged to Henry's mom. Maybe his dad kept it in his pocket and it fell out when he was feeding the pigs. It could be as simple as that, couldn't it? His nervous gut didn't agree, but that didn't mean it wasn't true.

Ezra slipped the ring into his pants pocket and settled in beside Henry, wrapping his arm around the other boy. He pressed his lips to Henry's head and wished they could run away together. Something here didn't feel right. Something about Daniel Pruett didn't feel right. Was he losing his mind? Sometimes grief messed people up. If something was wrong with him... was he a threat to Henry?

Henry stirred from his slumber and raised his head, rubbing his eyes. "I fell asleep?" he mumbled.

"Yeah." Ezra smiled.

"How long?"

"Not long. Maybe an hour."

"Why didn't you wake me up?"

Ezra shrugged. "Because you look so cute when you're sleeping."

"Shut up." Henry rolled his eyes and smiled. "I do not."

"Yes, you do. You scrunch your nose like a bunny. It's adorable."

"No, I don't." Henry laughed. "You're making that up."

"Huh-uh." Ezra grinned.

Henry nudged him. "Stop it."

"Why?"

"Because..." Henry pursed his lips and ducked his head. "You're embarrassing me."

"I wasn't trying to." Ezra smiled. "And it shouldn't embarrass you when your boyfriend says you're cute."

Henry raised his head, eyes shining. "I love it when you call yourself my boyfriend."

"I am."

"I know. I just like to hear you say it."

Ezra grinned teasingly. "I'm your boyfriend." He raised his voice. "I'm your boyfriend." Henry laughed and shoved him back against the sofa. "I'm Henry Pruett's boyfriend!"

"Stop!" Henry laughed.

"You said you liked to hear me say it." Ezra kissed him. "Did you change your mind?"

Henry leaned against him, laughing softly. "No."'

Ezra held him and kissed his hair, his mood sobering as he stared blankly over Henry's head. "Can I ask you something about your mom?" he whispered.

"Yeah." Henry straightened. "What?"

"Did she..." Ezra faltered. "Was she buried with her wedding ring? Or did your dad keep it?"

Henry frowned. "Why?"

"I don't know. Just one of those random thoughts. Some people keep their spouse's ring, to remember them by or whatever."

"I think she was buried with it," Henry said quietly. "I think I saw it on her finger at the funeral. But I can't remember for sure. I can ask my dad if you want."

"No, that's okay."

"Oh!" Henry jumped up.

"What?"

"Wait here." Henry raced off to his bedroom and returned minutes later with a small plain box about the size of his palm. "Here." He thrust it at Ezra.