Chapter 8

NOTE: I made some minor revisions to previous chapters that haven't been uploaded. The main revision is that I made Henry's dad, Daniel Pruett, the county Sheriff.

_________________________________

Ezra couldn't move as his butt rooted to the sofa and his eyes glued to the TV. His heart beat against his ribs, making it hard to breathe. The newscaster continued.

"Soon after the disappearance of Angie Wells, a second young woman, Elly Carrington, was reported missing."

A second photo of a dark-haired young woman appeared onscreen beside the first. She looked similar to the first woman, mostly in hair color and hairstyle. A silver heart locket hung around her neck from a thin silver chain.

"The police have yet to determine if foul play is involved in the two disappearances or if there is a connection between the missing young women. Again, if anyone has information concerning the whereabouts of these young women, please contact your local authorities."

Ezra's focus clung to Angie Wells' engagement ring.

It's not the same ring... it's not...

It is.

The paralysis broke and Ezra bolted from the sofa and raced into the kitchen. He grabbed the cordless phone from the cradle and dialed 911.

What're you doing—he's the SHERIFF!

Ezra froze, clutching the phone. The 911 dispatcher answered on the other end" "Hello? What is your emergency?"

Ezra stared at the phone, eyes bulging, fear and confusion surging through him.

"Hello? Is someone there—"

Ezra stabbed the end button in a panic and shoved the phone back on the cradle and stepped back, chest heaving, pulse pounding in his head, making him dizzy.

What do I do? What do I do?

Maybe he was wrong. Maybe it wasn't the same ring.

Ezra suddenly broke and raced for the stairs, his feet thumping against each step as he propelled himself to the second floor. He ran down the dark hallway and burst into his bedroom, shaking all over. Rushing to his dresser, he yanked open the top drawer and dug through his socks and underwear for the ring he'd hidden in there. When he couldn't find it, Ezra frantically threw the clothes on the floor and then jerked the drawer from the dresser and turned it upside down.

Nothing.

The ring was gone.

"No..." Ezra whimpered in panic. "It was here...I-I put it here." How could it be gone?

Maybe Janine found it and took it.

Ezra hurried to his foster parents' bedroom and yanked Harold's jacket from the rack, throwing it to the floor, then grabbed Janine's purse. Ezra went to the bed and turned the purse upside down, dumping out the contents; wallet, brush, and makeup. No ring. He rummaged through her nightstand drawer. Nothing.

"It has to be here," he whispered with a tremor. "It has to."

Because if it wasn't... and his foster parents didn't take it...

He was too terrified to consider the only other explanation.

Ezra stood next to the bed, shaking from head to toe as he scanned the bedroom. His eyes came to rest on Harold's jacket, lying in a heap at the foot of the coat rack. Something protruded from one of the pockets. Dark brown... leather. Ezra walked over and picked up the jacket and plucked the item from the pocket. His eyes widened and his pulse stuttered.