Part 12

She helped Lucian get away from the fighting and back to the kingdom. She knocked on the large doors with her foot.

"Help us! He is injured! The hero is injured, please let us in!" A small slot in the door opened.

"How do I know you're telling the truth?" Verena stepped over to the hole.

"Lucian, tell the man." Lucian lifted his head to look.

"She's not lying, please let us in." The man grunted and stepped away. They heard clunking and the door opened.

"Thank you." Verena said. The man grunted again. She brought him over to the healers room and let them take it from there.

"I have to go back to the fight, you're gonna be okay." Lucian lifted a hand to grab hers as she walked away.

"What about you?" Verena looked at him.

"What about me?"

"Will you be okay?" She chuckled.

"Of course I will. Don't worry."

"But what if you get hurt, or you get taken? What will happen if—"

"It will all be okay. You need to rest, do not worry about me." Lucian seemed to have calmed down from that. He nodded. Verena left him, knowing that he was watching her walk away. She ran to the battle field, grabbing the first sword she saw, just in time to defend herself against an approaching attacker.

As she looked around, it was quite empty, there were only a few people fighting, but the earth was covered with bodies. She killed the remaining soldiers of the opposing army, but she couldn't help but feel useless. What was this all for if everyone died? She shook her head to get that thought out. It was counterproductive to think like that. She needed to find the king.

When she asked those who were still alive they said they had no idea. She stepped through the wasteland of corpses, recognizing familiar faces. Thieves, neighbors, and former partners scattered about like dead flies. But she stopped at one face. It was the girl.

She kneeled down to get a better look. It looked like her head had been bashed in with an ax of some sort. She closed her eyelids and brought the girl's hands up to her chest, clutching her sword. The true pose of a warrior that died with honor. She inhaled shapely and left the body. She still had to find the king.

"My lord! Where are you?" She shouted.

"Ms. Cliffwood?" A voice said from behind her. She let out a sigh of relief.

"There you are. I thought you were dead." He smiled.

"Aw, were you worried about me." Verena scowled. She hated him. Really hated him.

"I was actually excited, maybe I'd have a chance to be queen. I'd do a lot for this country. At least more than you could." He growled.

"Well, did you take care of it?" He snarled. Damn it, she thought to herself.

"Um...not exactly."

"What do you mean 'not exactly'? What did you do?"

"I saved him."

"You what? You mean he was dying, the thing I've been asking for this entire time and you mean to say that you saved him?"

"Yes...sir." He walked up to her and got a gun out of his belt and handed it to her.

"If you do not take care of this I will do it myself. Why is this so hard for you?" She hesitated.

'"He is strong. I would be happy to kill him if I had the chance."

"Then show me. You have 24 hours." The king turned his back to her and walked towards the kingdom, while Verena made her way back to the inn. When she got there, she just sat on her bed, staring at the gun. She ran her fingers along the engravings. They were dragons, facing each other, their tails tangled together.