Part 13

How could she ever kill him? He was so kind.

As much as she hated to admit it, she liked him. Really liked him. She laid down on her bed, staring up at the ceiling. Maybe they could run away together, leave this kingdom and find their own path. Get new identities, make new lives. No, what was she thinking? How could he ever like her back? He was a hero, she was an assassin. Just as she closed her eyes she heard a knock at the door. She groaned.

"What!" She yelled. There was no answer. The person knocked again. She got up, stomping her way towards the door.

"What could possibly be—" She opened the door to see a crying Lucian. "Oh my gosh, Lucian. What is it? What's wrong? Come in." She opened the door wider, allowing Lucian to come inside. She pushed him down to sit on the bed and took a seat beside him. "What's wrong?" He looked at her with teary eyes.

"I have tried really, really hard to ignore my feelings for you." Verena gasped. He has feelings for her? "I do flirt with you, but I mean that as a joke. Every time I say a flirty line or a smug remark, I mean it. I look at you and I hope for a future. And I can't help but think of you every time I close my eyes. I know it sounds naive but I think we are meant for each other. And I completely understand if you think I am crazy and stupid because you were sent to kill me. But that does not change how I feel. I think of you and I feel happy. I think about you and I can't stop thinking about you. It's quite honestly infuriating that I can't get you out of my head. It's like you have cast a spell on me that cannot be broken. I have lived with and worked with kings and queens for years, but you are the first person who I think of as royalty. I am a hero, a person with morals, but I would gladly watch the world burn if you were the one holding the match. You make me feel everything I've never felt. If this is insanity then I pity those who are sane, for I am no such person. You are my missing puzzle piece, my key, my light in the darkness, my lamp on a long path. You are...yourself. And that is all I could ever ask for."

Verena was speechless.

"I-uh...um-"

"Should I not have said that? I'm sorry it's too much for me to even try to comprehend."

"No! I'm glad you said it. I just...I have to think."

"Of course. Take as much time as you need." Lucian said, while walking out of the room. He hesitated as he reached the doorway. He awkwardly waved bye before leaving. She threw herself on the bed and sighed. He liked her. He liked her. But was that okay? Would they be able to work? She opened her door and ran down the stairs to get a breath of fresh air. It was already dark outside.

She walked through the streets, down to the water and back up through the hills. She walked until she could barely feel her feet. She sat against a tree, just thinking about Lucian. She knew she had to make a decision quickly, because she didn't have long. But what would she tell the king? Hey, sorry I can't kill that guy, I'm in love with him! See ya!

What was she going to do? She went back to the inn, peaking around each corner as she did, hoping not to have an awkward encounter with Lucian. She grabbed the pistol the king had given her and went to the docks.

"I need to see the king." She said to the guard. He looked her up and down. He shook his head.

"What? No, I need to see him right now." He shook his head again.

"He's out at the moment." Verena scoffed.

"Well where is he out to?" The guard shrugged. Verena stomped away before she did something she knew she would regret. She didn't know where to go or what to do, but she knew one thing.