Chapter Four

PHILIP

PHILIP

I sighed a breath of relief as I watched the royal car drive up the street and back towards the castle. I quickly walked back into my shop and collapsed on the floor catching my breath. I still can’t believe that I was almost caught. I did have to defile myself by throwing dirt at the king, but it was worth it. 

There was a pause currently as I layed on the floor, reliving every second that the king was here. My body had ignored my overwhelming feeling of anxiety and stress. 

The doorbell rang, meaning someone was walking in. I turned and saw an older man with salt-pepper hair and a short-shaved beard. His attire was similar to an old pub keeper. It was Belden, the man who owned the pub next door and was the one that warned me of King Alaric. 

“What is it? Are you being closed down? Arrested? Oh God! Executed?!” Belden asked.

“No…” I said in a soft voice. “I’m not in any trouble.” I said.

“Oh good! We thought we were going to have to arrange your funeral flowers this time.” He chuckled.

“I threw dirt on the king.” I said.

Belden gasped. “And you still have your hands! Sheesh! Either Lady Luck is on your side or he’s in love with you.” He said.

“Ha ha, very funny.” I stood up and began walking to the break room.

“I’m just saying. King Alaric is a bit of a prude. He banned roses and doesn’t care about the implications for other families. Had you been anyone, no doubt you’d be at the gallows right this second.” Belden said.

“Nonsense. I don’t know why I haven’t been arrested. But I’m not wasting my luck.” I opened the back door to the greenhouse where the king had been earlier. I quickly raced over to where the king had bent down.

“Still, I’m kind of a romantic. I’ll be rooting for you two!” Belden said from behind me.

When I looked down, I saw what the king had been looking at. A single red rose petal. It was being squished by the piece of wood I had placed as a make-shift wall. It does seem weird as to why a petal would be here in all places. Had he gotten a closer look, no doubt would have he found the roses behind the wall.

“Is it really a good idea to sell illegal goods?” Belden asked, standing next to me.

“They’re just flowers. Why should they be placed in the same category as cocaine or assault rifles? Of course I’m going to keep selling them.” I responded.

“Mmm okay. But if you get shut down, it's all for nothing for your grandparents’ and mom’s legacy.” He replied.

“Nah! My ancestors would be proud of me. Our mission is to spread these beauties for the world to see. So even if I get shut down, I did it with good intentions.” I said.