03.henry

The next morning I sat playing the piano in the drawing room as Evangeline had her dance lesson with Edward. I found myself biting back giggles as each time she took a misstep or accidentally stepped on Edward's foot as he let out exaggerated wails. The instructor had sprawled himself in a chair as he held the bridge of his nose while glancing up only few moments. With a huff Evangeline took a confident step only for her to land on Edward's toe harshly.

Edward yelped loudly before pretending to fall to the floor. He laid there holding his foot and moaning incoherently while Evangeline glared at him. The dance instructor gathered his coat tiredly and muttered a small goodbye before taking his leave.

"Edward you ruin absolutely everything!" Evangeline cried out.

"Says the girl that stomped off my toe," Edward tried biting back a smile as he looked up at his twin from the floor, "I pity then men of the ton when you make your debut."

Our sister let out a scream before stomping her foot and leaving the drawing room in a hurry. I finally allowed myself to fall into a fit of giggles along with Edward. He looked up at me from his spot on the floor shaking his head.

"I truly do think she took off at least one of my toes," Edward sighed as his laughed subsided.

"You shouldn't be so hard on her, you know how much these things mean to her."

"I know but I simply wish for her to realize that it is not as serious as she thinks."

"Perhaps a serious conversation could help," I offered with a grin only to earn an eye roll from Edward as he allowed himself to relax on the floor. I shook my head at my brother's childishness as I stood from the piano bench before I noticed one of our staff standing in the door.

"A Mr. Elis is here, ma'am."

My eyebrows knitted together as I sent a nod to the staff to allow him in. Edward perked from his slouch curiously as Henry Elis made his way into the drawing room with a shy smile.

"Mr. Elis what a nice surprise! Elliot is in his study, I shall collect him for you if you'd like," I smiled as I started to make my way out.

"Actually Miss Hayward, I was hoping to see you."

"Oh," Edward chuckled causing eyes to fall on him. He offered a nod to Henry as his face was over taken by a mischievous smile.

"My apologies, Mr. Elis this is my younger brother Edward. He has just recently sustained numerous injuries to his toes from a dance lesson," I smiled as I assisted Edward to his feet.

"I assure you I understand, I believe my sister attempted to remove my toes from my feet during her own lessons," Henry laughed.

Edward made his way to an arm chair where he slouched. I led Henry over to one of the couches where we both took a seat.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit, Mr. Elis?"

"Well, I simply enjoyed our time together last evening and wished to perhaps spend some more with you," He flashed me a nervous smile before glancing at Edward as if for approval.

"That is very kind of you," My eyes found my lap before I let out a sigh, "But I must inform you I am not on the marriage market this season."

"Well," Henry nodded, "That is quiet alright. If you have no objections I should still like to spend time with you. Should it lead to something one day, I would be elated truly, but I would merely enjoy your company if nothing else."

My teeth found my lower lip as a blush spread over my cheeks under Henry's soft gaze. Edward sat watching both of us with a humorous expression, hand poorly covering a grin. I gave Henry a small nod to accept his offer before allowing myself to fall into another surprisingly comfortable conversation with him.