06.might we

I slept easily after my tears passed late into the evening. When I woke I still felt the weight of my tears holding me tight as I struggled to go through the motions of the day. Florence and I sat outside as she practiced her writing under the shade of a tree as I watched the moving spots of sun between the branches.

"Is this right?"

Florence held her slate up to me to read over her sentence, 'My nam is Florence Hayward and I am seven years.' I smiled down at her as as I took her chalk and added an 'e' to the word 'name'. Her brows came together for a moment before relaxing as she laughed at her mistake.

"Thank you, sister."

"Of course," I laughed with her.

I tried to return my attention to the branches above but my attention was drawn across the yard by the slight clanking of metal. In the Bridgerton yard I could make out the figures of the older of the boys practicing their fencing. I chewed on my lip as I forced my eyes back up, letting out an exasperated sigh. Florence's little eyes followed my own to the boys in the yard before staring at me quizzically.

"Are you no longer friends with the Bridgertons?"

I glanced down at her as a frown was tugging my lips, "Of course I am still friends with them, why would you think such a thing?"

"You always seem upset at the mention of them, and you can hardly look at them. Well except for Daphne but she's Hastings now," Florence shrugged as she began writing out her alphabet.

"It's complicated, Florence," I sighed, "There are adult matters that I don't expect you to understand."

"Like love?"

I looked down at my sister who stared back at me with innocent eyes. My lips formed a tight smile before I wrapped my arm around her.

"Like what love does to you."

The rest of our afternoon was spent with little conversation until dinner. Florence spent the meal rambling off various stories of her governess, and questions of anything she could think of. Evangeline humored her, sending occasional kicks to Edward under the table when he gave sarcastic responses. In a lull of conversation Elliot cleared his throat, pulling all eyes towards him.

"This afternoon I received an invite from the Bridgertons," He glanced at me quickly before returning his eyes to his meal, "We shall be making our way to the Whilton House in two days time for their annual celebrations."

"All of us?" Florence asked.

"Indeed, they were kind enough to extend an invitation to each of us."

Evangeline and Florence clapped giddily while Edward rolled his eyes at their antics. As my sisters discussed the things they would do and the dresses they would bring I found myself chewing my lip raw. I could feel Elliot's cautious eyes burrowing a hole in the side of my head. It wasn't until after the meal as I attempted to make my way back to my room that Elliot pulled me aside to speak.

"Will you be alright on this trip? If not we could simply tell them you are unwell and—"

"Elliot I shall be fine," I said giving his hand a light squeeze. It looked as though he had more he wished to say but he pursed his lips and gave me a curt nod.

.❀。• *₊°。 ❀°。

Arriving at Whilton House sent me through a whirlwind of emotions, both old and new. My mind was only put at ease when Daphne greeted me with a hug.

"Oh I am so glad you are here! Anthony has invited the Sharma family and he is riddled with these terrible nerves that are driving me to madness," Daphne laughed as she pulled away.

"It is no surprise that he would pick the most difficult woman to court," I sighed shaking my head.

Daphne laughed as she wrapped her arm with mine and lead me up to our families at the stairs of the home. Elliot had already placed himself into conversation with the older boys while the twins and Florence gathered with the younger three Bridgertons. Lady Bridgerton greeted me with a smile and thanked me for coming before our eyes turned to an approaching carriage. Anthony cleared his throat before demanding everyone be on their best behavior as he made his way down the stairs. Daphne gave me a knowing look that forced me to suppress a giggle as we followed behind him.

Lady Danbury made her way out of the carriage first followed by an older woman with beautiful tan skin and silky black hair pinned into a swirling bun. Lady Bridgerton greeted them and fell into a conversation as two more girls made their way out of the carriage. The girls looked like the woman before them, one looked younger than me and had eyes full of excitement and wonder. The older looking girl stood to the side with her face full of a thinly veiled look of dread. After greeting the younger girl Anthony made his way to the older of the two and Daphne leaned into me as she watched them.

"That must be Miss Edwina, the one Anthony is courting,"She whispered before making her way towards them. I shook my head at her and approached the younger girl who still took in the house with curious eyes.

"Hello, I am Maggie Hayward," I introduced myself as I forced a smile.

"Pleasure to meet you," She smiled with a curtsy, "I am Edwina Sharma. I have heard so many lovely things of your family since my arrival."

My eyes widened at her name and I shot a look to Daphne but she seemed to already have realized as she looked back to me. I smiled again as I looked back to Edwina and thanked her. Anthony then announced that we should all make our way in so that we might begin our game of pall-mall. Daphne excitedly rushed to me and grabbed my hand as she lead me along with the crowd of our families. In the back lawn of Whilton House we all took iron hoops to set around the lawn. I smiled proudly as I stuck mine down a mere three inches from the base of a tree.

"Seems like a dastardly place to set your hoop."

I looked up to see Colin looking down at me with a small smile. I sighed as I stood and began making my way back towards the house for the game, Colin following with a pace to keep up with me.

"Maggie, I truly am sorry I never meant to upset you so," He whispered as we approached, "Might we at least continue to be friends?"

I stopped in my tracks as I turned to look at him. His face was a sincere one that made my chest tighten.

"Friends?"

"Maggie, I could not bare to not have you in my life."

"Mr. Bridgerton I am not sure our relationship could ever return to how it was before."

"But might we at least try?"

I looked back towards the house at everyone gathering to begin the game and sighed before returning my gaze to Colin. I could see him battling for his composure as he waited anxiously for my response.

"We might," I answered quickly before beginning to make my way to our families, a small smile forcing it's way onto my lips.