6

--

Oscar

--

I check my phone, It's 8:55am. We're just pulling up and I see that everyone is here like I instructed. Her tattoo was gone, now she can turn to a Santo. It must be a huge change for her. I don't know much about Aurora. But she looked like she knew what she was doing. Like she knew the consequences and the responsibilities that came with being a gang member and she accepted. It was impressive.

"everyone, this is Aurora." Everyone was confused. I don't blame them.

"Hola" why did he say it like that. there's no way Liam was trying to shoot his shot.
"you!" she giggled. You? everyone was staring at them. You know each other? I wanted to ask, but I remembered that it doesn't matter.

"we're gonna jump her in today." All the other homies dropped the beer in their hands and walked closer to us. Everyone was confused and they all had the right to be. I know it's crazy, we don't even know this person. "Cuchillios ordered it." They don't even look at me. All eyes were on her. And I can tell that she was not the least bit intimidated. Hey, maybe she did belong here.

"who is she, spook?" sad eyes whispered to me. Everyone else still eyeing Aurora and not paying a mind to our little side convo. "I'll tell you later." I separated from the crowd and went to grab myself a beer. I can never be sober witnessing a chick being beaten and do nothing about it. I have to be at least five beers down every time.

We spent a while just hanging around. Aurora was on her phone the whole time, and everyone else had their eyes on her in turn. No one was buying it. And truth be told, I wasn't sure of what I was doing too. But I knew it was required of me to obey Cuchillios demands.

As if earth wanted to give me a sign. I got a text.

Cuchillios:

Is it done?

Ok. It's time to stop fooling around.

__ _

Aurora

__ _

I could feel everyone freezing in their place. I look up to see spooky, their leader, standing up.

I was gonna be jumped into becoming a Santo now. But truth is, I was never jumped into a gang before.

I was not a whole serpent, back home. My father wanted to keep me away from this stuff. And my mother wanted to keep me away from my father. They both didn't do it to protect me. They did it to spite each other. I am not that close to both of them. which is why I dont feel entirely comfortable with calling them 'mom' and 'dad'.

My father never married my mother. And they were never in love. But they had me on purpose, and I still don't know why. I grew up with Maria, my mother.

My father, Miguel, inherited the leadership of the serpents from his father. Maria became a serpent, and she eventually started a rebellion to kick Miguel out of the gang. She sure did succeed. She then, in turn took leadership. After it, Miguel dedicated his whole life to pushing me away from the serpents. So that Maria doesn't have a heir. And I said screw them both and was doing my own thing. Too much drama for me.

On the surface and to the other gangs in new York, I was a serpent, for the sake of my own protection. But I didn't live as a serpent. I never had the chance to experience the gang live. I just had their privileges.

It wasn't like I was weak though, I was trained, and I knew how to use a gun. But I did not work. I was never allowed to work, was never given work. I was only given my mother's money to spend, and lived my good happy spoiled girl life.

Cuchillios was right. I did get princess treatment growing up. But that was all until I did something, and Maria got so pissed that she sent me to LA. That was a month ago. I was sent money every week, but it wasn't enough. So I did my extra hustle on the side.

I got the news that Maria passed yesterday. That the serpents were long gone. It didn't bother me, I never thought they were family. And I had Miguel anyway. But I learned the same night that he died too. And I had mixed feelings about the whole thing.

After leaving the gang, my father spent all his time cleaning and laundering the money he had on the side. And cleaning his name. He was rich from all the drug money he spent years clearing. But it was unfortunate that he died before he could spend any of it. It's fine though, because I am ready to take his money now.

I hired a lawyer this morning. I've been on my phone nonstop, trying to get shit done, he said it'll take around a month or two for things to calm down and go back to being normal. And I can't issue anything until then.
Of course, I can manage another month. Financially at least -I can pull a hustle or two, plus there were some other guys I was going out with, beside that freak from yesterday. And I had a bunch of designer stuff I can sell. Shit, I have to grab my things from the hotel-, but I cannot protect myself. In the past, the serpents protected me. But now they're gone. And I'm left being chased by a danger so strong. A danger that easily wiped a powerful gang off the face of the earth within one night. I am in danger. And until I have enough money to flee the US, I need my aunt. And I need the Santos.

"you ready?" his voice snaps me out of my thoughts. He slightly smiles. He, spooky. This man's been a weird one so far. I honestly can't read through him. One second, he'd smile and laugh, and the next he'd be so cold I can't even tell if it's the same person. This smile though, wasn't a tinder one. No, he never smiled tinder. He either smiled politely, or like he is doing now, smiled because he's trying to terrify me.

It was nice that he let me stay yesterday, even though it was a command from his boss. He still offered me a drive -from the bar- which I think he did solely on his own. I first thought he'd try to take advantage of me thinking I was a weak easy target. But he didn't which confused me all the lot more. Hey, maybe he just liked me. It definitely did draw a smile on my face boosting my confidence.

And I really need confidence right now. I mean, I'm rarely ever doubting myself. But I rarely ever get beaten as well. But now I'm about to go through it.

It's alright though. I got this.

"let's get it over with." I sit my phone down.

I tied my hair up and braced myself. My eyes slowly drifting from one to another. It's obvious I'm mainly getting hit by the girl members. But I wont be surprised if some cholos joined in too. I can get through it.

Before I even know it, a fist invaded my space and crashed my face. My mind doesn't catch up fast enough, but I recognize the familiar metal-ly taste hugging my tongue. It was a dramatic hit, and there was a long pause after. They were waiting for me to stand up. I did. And it was taken as an invitation because soon enough I was tackled to the ground again and receiving punches left and right.

I don't know if I'm taking the best route. Hell, I don't know if I'm even taking a right one. But it's done now. And I'm a Santo.

__ _