Chapter Three

Rain. It started really slow with a tapping against the taxi that soon grew into a loud forewarning rapping. It was a sign that I should have stayed home, nursing my wounds. Instead, I find myself trying to look past the raindrops that accumulated on the passenger side window.  The dizzying water effect was more than enough to make me want to tell the cab driver to turn around and take me to the comfort of my bed. But, I didn't. Dressed in a blue little number, I nod occasionally to Amanda who had been going on about whom she was looking forward to bump into and who she wished got fat.

Once Amanda and I arrived at my idea of Hell on Earth, an onset of anxiety causes me to start biting my cuticles. 

"Why are High School reunions held at High School?" I said, looking around the colorful array of Dollar Store streamers hanging from every surface of the John Dewey High School cafeteria. The usual scuffed tiled floors are covered with round tables set with white tablecloths, cheap flower centerpieces and tableware. I don't look forward to the buffet style dinner. 

The scattered groups of people that linger in the corners are clearly hiding from the rest of the non-eager attendees. Their faces, showing the raw reality of age, remind me that these same people, perhaps, share with me one common thread, fear. There is nothing more intimidating than the fear that I have not changed since High School. I would like to think that I have, that I didn't peak during my adolescence. Considering, I've worked hard at becoming everything Cosmo Girl and Sassy Magazine had told me I should be. Perhaps, all my efforts had been wasted, because I didn't feel all that I could be and I didn't exude a happening vibe. My energy had been exhausted and I needed to recharge.

"It's nice," Amanda said.

It isn't, but I don't rebuttal. Instead, I stay quiet, focusing my attention toward the six-inch stilettos that have torn the skin off the back of my heel.

"Stop looking so glum," Amanda said.

"Why are we here again?" I whine.

"What do you mean?"

"For one thing, we hated these people."

"That was twenty years ago. People change."

"Yeah, shitty people just turn into shittier people," I said and then added, "They become Politicians and lawyers." 

And then, as if on cue, Mark walks in. My heart wants to jump out of my chest at the sight of him.

"What the hell is he doing here?" I said to Amanda. Without waiting for a reply, I shot out of my seat and marched right up to him.

"We need to talk," I whisper to Mark.

"No, we don't," replies Mark, turning to face away from me. I look around quickly to make sure that no one I knew was in earshot of us.

"Yes, we do." I pull him toward an isolated corner of the room and then inquire, "What are you doing here?"

"I assume we are both here for the same reasons," Mark said smugly.

"I didn't want to come. Amanda dragged me. But that's not the point. If I knew you were going to be here I wouldn't have come." My voice was shaking, revealing the nervous wreck I was on the inside. I didn't want this, for Mark to see me nervous and scared. Up until this moment, I'd carried an almost supernatural façade, exuberating confidence and strength though falling apart on every level.

"Well, I'm already here," Mark said dismissively and then, smiles past me. I turn around and my eyes catch sight of a beautiful blond woman whom I didn't recognize, walking toward us. She smiled at Mark as if I wasn't standing next to him. She made her way to Mark's side and clasped her hand with his. My heart dropped to the bottom of my chest.