Chapter Four

The roaring sound of the engine resonated in the frigid autumn air as the motorcycle bullied its way up the west side highway. The rain subsided with reprisal; leaving a layer of slippery wet glaze that glistened against the pale moonlight. The city reflected off the Hudson River like a majestic fortress, telling of a new story, a new life, a life that was owed to me. Adrenaline rushed through my veins, filling every inch of my petite frame. I felt as if I was having an outer body experience, riding with this stranger. Yet, somehow it felt...right.

I close my eyes as a means to quiet my mind and embrace the moment as if it was the last time I would ever find the courage to be impulsive. The motorcycle hugs every city corner, and the cold air envelops my wet skin, causing me to hold on to blue eyes tighter. I grasp at any form of heat that I could find. Saturated in the moment, I felt free and invigorated. Being on the back of that Harley, going fast, swooshing through traffic and holding on to him was unlike anything I had ever experienced. We turned off Battery Park, where the cobble stone streets lead you to the parts of Downtown that seem untouched by time. I looked up at the night sky through the opening in my helmet, surprised by the clarity of the stars that illuminated my world and secretly made a wish.

He zips through traffic, eventually pulling over on a brightly lit street on the Lower East Side where restaurants and bars lined the streets.

"You'll have to mount off now so that I can set the bike," Blue Eyes said, leaning the bike slightly.

I slip off the back of the bike, my heart beating a mile a minute. I can't believe I just got on the back of a motorcycle with a total stranger. Even more, I can't even believe what happened back at the reunion. I shake my head in disbelief. Once on stable ground, I realize just how tightly I'd wrapped my legs around him. My legs begin to tremble from sheer exhaustion. I had to rest against a nearby tree just to keep from falling over.

Blue Eyes flexed the kickstand with a swift kick of his foot and turned off the ignition.

"Are you okay?" He steps off the bike, and removes his helmet. His dark hair still looks fabulous in a sexy I-never-have-a-bad-hairday way, and I have to fight the urge to run my hands through it.

"I'm fine," I say. My words escaping in a whisper.

He smiles at me, sets the helmet on the seat of the bike and walks toward me.

My pulse is pounding violently. His eyes lock with mine. My heart plummets to my stomach. As much as I want to find out more about this guy, he looks like trouble and the way he makes my heart thump in my chest was more trouble than I was looking for.

Go home Viv. Now!

"Thanks for the ride," I tell him.

He frowns slightly, like he doesn't want me to go, and then he looks up at me hopefully. "You sure I can't take you home?"

The entrance to the metro is only a block away. Although I want to linger here with him, staring into those Blue Eyes, and swooning at his dimples, I'm soaked and my footwear is ruined. And, he's a stranger. A beautiful stranger, but a stranger none the less.

Say no, Viv. Get on the train, and go back to bed. Mmm...bed with Blue Eyes... Sweaty bodies, tangled sheets...

I shake my head, and then, as politely and forcefully as I possibly can, I say, "I'm okay. I can get home from here." When I'm a safe enough distance away, I turn around. "Thanks again."

"Anytime." He murmurs as I walk away.

I can feel him looking at my ass.

I fight with myself not to turn around.