eleven | when you fall

I could've let him walk away from the front door of my house

I could've let him walk away from the front door of my house. But I couldn't. Soaked in rain, teeth clattering against the icy drizzle and his beautiful smile were enough to offer him shelter until the rain stopped.

Rehan seems more than willing to take my offer and steps in as I hold the door for him. He pauses to whisper into my ear. "You shouldn't let random guys into the house when your parents aren't home."

I look up with a challenging smile. "When I have my knight in shining armor, should I still worry about random guys?"

He chuckles, taking off his shoes at the entrance with his eyes still locked with mine. "No you shouldn't. Your knight is at your service, milady."

As if on cue his wet feet slips on the tile flooring and he falls on his butt with a loud thud. It sounds painful but the look on his face appears so hilarious that I burst out laughing.

"So, much for being my knight in shining armor." I manage the words between laughter. I do not miss the subtle blush creeping up his face as he squeezes his eyes in both pain and embarrassment. Offering him my hand I say, "Do you need a hand, my knight?"

He opens up his eyes and looks at my hand under his chin then moves his gaze to my face. I don't miss the way his eyes gleam with admiration. My face suddenly heats up, my laughter starts subsiding and I'm about to take my hand back but doesn't let me. He clasps my hand and allows me to pull him up.

However, we're so clumsy with our approach that he slips right back and this time he pulls me down with him. I fall on top of him with an awkward shriek, with his hands and body shielding me against the impact.

I feel his heartbeat in my ear and I'm sure he can feel my heart beating violently against his. We are soaked in rain and in a tragic fate. If I don't pull myself back right this moment, I may break his heart and that's the last thing I want to do.

Yet when I lift my head from his chest and look into his darkened eyes I can't help it. It's too late to retreat now.

"Looks like I saved you again, starfish." He mumbles, his breaths tickling my hair as he huffs out breathlessly.

"Yeah, looks like it, my knight." I say.

I push off his body and roll on my back next to him. We stay like that for a few seconds before we turn at each other at the same time. A strong connection passes between us then we burst out laughing.

***

Rehan trails after me into the open kitchen as I grab a bottle of water from the fridge and toss it to him after chugging a mouthful.

"You should probably get changed." He says, placing the bottle on the counter, and leaning against the island. "You might catch a cold."

"I'm okay," I say. "I like rain." I look out through the kitchen window, and heave a sigh.