The SMC

You let out a quiet yawn as you walked alongside the muddy road for what felt like the third time this week. Well, it was actually the third time. After watching some movies the night prior, you had decided to head home rather than stay at the Pink Palace. You didn't want that blue Russian guy to be watching you sleep or something.

Still, you had agreed to work on your history project with Coraline and Wybie, thus the walking back to the Pink Palace so early in the morning. Fog hung low, but it wasn't thick enough for you to not know where you were stepping or going. The sun peeked through the clouds which gave the world a strange otherworldly glow.

The air was chilly, gut not unbearable. If you didn't know any better you would have guessed that a zombie was gonna come out and attack you. But, then again, Zombies aren't real.......are they?

If Ghosts and Other Mothers were real, then could Zombies be real? You stopped walking and began to ponder your own question. What other monsters existed? Did other monsters exist? Were you just scaring yourself?

You shook the thought and continued on your way. You looked around the scenery for a moment and thought about the history of this place. Ashland was found way back when pioneers were settling. Over 100 years worth of history just hiding under the surface.

You came to a sudden stop when you saw something move through the fog. You found your eyes frantically scanning the area for any more movement. You heard a low humming sound which immediately put you even more on guard. You slowly began to walk backwards, unaware of the small black figure sitting on the fence post. When you bumped into it, you slowly turned around to meet the gaze of a pair of blue eyes.

Y/N: Oh, jeez. I thought you were a ghost.

You relaxed at the sight of the black cat and allowed yourself to breathe. You looked at the cat and began to pet it. It allowed you to do so and purred.

Y/N: Yeah. You're harmless.

Cat: I wouldn't say that.

You both stared at each other in silence. You blinked before looking up, then looking down. You scratched the back of your ear before looking at the cat again.

Y/N: Come again?

Cat: I'm not harmless, boy. I'm simply harmless to you. Even more so now that I know you can hear me.

You stared at the cat before sighing.

Y/N: It happened. It finally happened. I lost my mind.

Cat: It would appear so.

You slicked your hair back with your hand before looking back to the small animal. You examined it to make sure it wasn't dead. It didn't seem to be, but here it was, talking. You awkwardly crossed your arms.

Y/N: Aren't you the same cat that's always around Coraline and Wybie?

Cat: The very same.

Y/N: So you have some kind of connection to the Other Mother?

Cat: You could say that, yes.

Y/N: And I can talk to you because.....

You gestured for the cat to answer. Instead of saying anything, he jumped down onto the road and began to walk towards the Pink Palace.

Cat: We'll talk and walk. You have a project to do after all.

You stood there for a moment. You didn't know if this was actually a dream or if you were really speaking to a feline, but what did you even have to lose? Your life? Nah, it was just a cat. A talking cat. Not alarming at all.