08

One year later

"Ruth, honey, why aren't you eating? Why are you all alone here? You should go mingle with your cousins. It's not good for you to be all by yourself!"

"Huh? What? Hi, Tita Ellen." I looked up from my phone, blinking confusedly for a few seconds before her words finally sank in. "I was just taking a break. I'll join them in a while."

Tita Ellen was in full party-hosting mode, just like during her daughter's wedding. This time, though, it was Phoebe's daughter's christening. It was another family event, so, as always, I came armed with enough answers in case I got the usual questions again.

"Dear, I just want you to have fun." She ran a hand through my hair, like she did when I was still a small girl. I gave her a look, which she ignored or just didn't notice. "And why are you looking at your phone? Are you stalking your ex?"

"Ex? Tita, I don't..." I blinked again, and I finally remembered whom I was talking to. I smiled and shook my head. "No, Tita. I don't stalk my ex. But I was reading his e-mail, and he sends his regards."

"Oh, darling," Tita Ellen took a seat beside me and put her hand on mine. "I still feel really sad that you guys broke up. I really liked him for you, and you two were such a good fit. I can still remember that kiss from Phoebe's wedding and—"

Okay, time to change the topic. "Speaking of Phoebe, how does it feel being a grandma, Tita?"

Her face instantly changed. A golden, maternal—grandmaternal?—glow dawned on her face. Sitting back in my chair, I picked up my glass of water and watched as she waxed poetic about the joys of being a grandmother. I learned that her grandchild was a very effective diversionary tactic to keep her from asking me about my personal life, particularly the end of my "relationship."

As we expected, my relatives were heartbroken when I told them that Ian and I were no longer "together." We had a better cover story this time, the truth: that we broke up because Ian was leaving for a mission, and we both didn't want a long-distance relationship. I didn't even have to pretend so hard to be sad about it because I was sad about it, just not as sad or heartbroken as what my relatives expected me to be. The breakup gave me a lot of space, and hardly anyone asked me about my love life whenever I saw them. It was great.

It was kind of funny how everyone in my family seemed to miss Ian, even my dad and my sister, who knew the whole truth. What I didn't really expect was how them missing him made me miss him more than when I was at Holy Family Missions events, or even when I was at work. As if his absence was more palpable when I was with people I had known all my life.

There were times that I'd allow myself to imagine that what we had was real, and I'd feel this painful little twinge in my chest, like a tiny hammer hitting my heart, cracking the surface a little with every beat.

Good thing none of that was real. And good thing he kept in touch.

"Anyway, enough about me," Tita Ellen said, breaking into my thoughts again. "Darling, I went here to talk to you about something."

Uh-oh. That tone was familiar. "What is it, Tita?"

"It's been almost six months since you and Ian broke up," she said, running her hand through my hair again. "Now I need you to be honest. Are you really over him?"

"Tita, like what you said, it's been almost six months," I said with a smile. "Yes, I've moved on."

"That's great to hear. You know we miss him, and I'm very glad that you two are still friends and there are no hard feelings," Tita Ellen replied. She took one of my hands and looked at me earnestly. "Now, I know he's your first love, but isn't it time for you to go out there again?"

She said this while I was in mid-drink, so I almost choked. I coughed, putting the glass back down on the table as I cleared my throat, hoping the water still went down the right pipe. "I...Tita, I don't think that's a good idea."

A line formed between Tita Ellen's finely shaped brows as she frowned a little. "Ruth, darling, do I need to remind you that you'll be out of the calendar in a few weeks' time? Time is ticking, and I'm sure you want your dad to know how it feels to be a grandfather, right?"

Wow. I had to hand it to Tita—that was a new line. It would have been an effective one too, if I didn't know better. And if things were not different.

My phone beeped, and I swiped at the screen to read the message. I looked up, just in time to see a tall guy with wavy cropped hair enter, eyes scanning the room.

Finally, his eyes met mine. Relief rushed through me as a smile tugged at the corners of my lips. I watched him make his way across the room to get to our table, noting the curious looks of my aunts and cousins as he passed by them.

A hand gripped my arm, and I glanced at my aunt, who had also risen from her seat, her eyes fixed on the newcomer.

"Hey," I said when he got to us, pulling him close with my free arm to press my cheek against his in greeting. Just being this close to him made my heart beat faster. "Glad you could make it."

"Thanks for inviting me, Ruth," he replied, then turned to my aunt. "Hello po."

"Hello, hijo." I slipped my arm through his, feeling my heart jump a little when he pressed his shoulder against mine. Tita shot me a look, and I almost laughed.

"Tita, I'd like you to meet Marlon," I said, barely containing my grin. "Marlon, this is my Tita Ellen."

My aunt looked at him, and I found myself holding my breath, watching as she looked at him from head to toe.

Then her face broke into a smile. "Hello, Marlon. Welcome to the party."

* * *

From: Ian Balboa <ianbalboa @hfmissions.org>

To: Ruth Garcia <ruthgarcia @yaymail.com>

Subject: Warm times

Dear Ruth,

It's starting to get warmer here now. We've been enjoying 16- to 20-degree temperatures since Monday! I know you're probably laughing at me now because that's not really warm, but believe me, anything above 10 degrees is warm to me now after my first winter. You'd love it here, though—the crisp, cool wind, clear blue skies. Spring is here.

But you know what's kind of jarring to me? It's past seven o'clock in the evening and it's still bright out. They told me about this when I got here, but it's harder when you're actually experiencing it, and now my body clock is out of whack. I heard the sunset here is at ten o'clock during the summer. TEN. It was mostly dark during winter, and now I'm not really sure if I want perpetual sunlight. This is why I miss Asia. Or maybe I'm just homesick?

Anyway, how are you guys? Gabriel told me you were at the last Encounter session. Congratulations! I saw the photos after your pray-over session, and you don't know how proud I am of all of you. I wish I could have been there at the start so I met everyone. Glad to see Gabe finally managed to get Cams to join. He looked really happy. I hope this means Joseph will convince Meah next?

We have a small member base here in Vienna, so everyone's juggling several tasks. It's very similar to how we were when we started in our area. They're all great here, but I miss having you guys around. Especially you—you were always so organized, and now I have to learn that all on my own.

By the way, I just received an invite from Tita Ellen about Phoebe's daughter's christening. She knows where I am and that we're not "together" anymore, right? This wasn't the first time she sent me an invite to your family event—or maybe she's having a hard time moving on from "us"? Hah. She's such a character. Send her my regards.

Speaking of relationships, what's happening with you? Pia mentioned a name to me last time—Marco? Marley? Marlon? Something. She refused to give me any details and told me to ask you. Did someone from our new members finally catch your eye?

The sun's finally about to set, and we're heading out for dinner. Take care of yourself, okay? Talk to you soon.

- Ian

P.S. We're working on starting some mission trips here soon. I'd really love it if you'd come.