01

Monday night, and my intuition was telling me to stay home. I had always trusted my intuition, but it was the first time I was had nothing to do on a weekday night, so I decided to go against it to do the responsible adult thing by heading to the supermarket to get food for the household meeting I was hosting on Wednesday night. So while my gut told me that staying at home to catch up on some reading was more fun and I had time to do the grocery tomorrow anyway, I still went out, reasoning that it was better to get this done now. What if I got pulled into another meeting tomorrow? What then, gut?

I was congratulating myself for staying within the budget and finishing the errand in record time when they came out of nowhere, and soon I was surrounded.

"Ruth, honey, is that you?" The high-pitched singsong voice made the hairs on the back of my neck rise ever so slightly, a reaction that I still haven't gotten over since I childhood. "Oh yes, it's you! Hello, darling!"

I didn't have to turn around now because Tita Ellen, my dad's youngest sister, was now in front of me, going for a hug. I stood there, almost motionless thanks to the grocery bags in my hands as her lips barely landed on my cheek, so as not to mess up her lipstick.

If my intuition could complain, it was starting now. I told you to do this tomorrow.

"Hello, Tita," I said when she finally let me go. "Hi, Phoebs," I added, nodding at my cousin and Tita Ellen's eldest daughter, who also gave me an air kiss.

"How are you honey? It's so nice to run into you!" Tita Ellen reached out to tuck a lock of hair that had gotten loose from my ponytail behind my ear and I tried hard not to step away from the invasion of my personal space. Tita Ellen was very touchy, so this was a normal for her. Unwelcome, but normal.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked.

"Oh, your cousin and I just had a massage," Tita Ellen answered, waving her hand. "Poor Phoebe has been so stressed about planning her wedding, so we decided to go on a mother-daughter bonding today."

Right. Phoebe was the latest relative in line for matrimony in the Garcia clan, with her wedding in a little less than two months. Tita Ellen had thrown herself 100% into the wedding planning, and I knew this because she had asked me if I could help them with their save-the-date image and printed invitations. I could do that in my sleep, so I said yes, but right after that was done, she asked me for contacts for flowers, bridal cars, sound systems, and other wedding suppliers. I had tried to tell her that I worked for an events production company and hardly had any experience in wedding planning except for being a bridesmaid. But she didn't have it, or she just pretended not to know even if I reminded her and passed her to another friend who knew more, and kept coming back to me for help. 

And I kept helping, not just because I was related to her, but also because I was listed as a secondary sponsor. As if that wasn't enough, my sister, Naomi, was also one of Phoebe's bridesmaids. If Tita couldn't reach me, then she'd go to Naomi, who would eventually go to me. There was just no escaping either way.

"Anyway, dear, are you with anyone right now?"

Heat crept up to my cheeks. Really, she would ask me this now, while my hands were full of groceries? Not that it had any relation, but still, right now? "No, Tita. Nothing's changed since the last time we saw each other. I'm still single."

"Because if you're not with anyone tonight, you should join us for dinner!" Tita Ellen continued as if I didn't speak at all.

I told you not to go out! My intuition screamed as my cousin giggled softly. If my hands weren't full, I would've smacked my forehead now. I wondered if she actually heard me. I hope she didn't. Please tell me she didn't.