Chapter 3

KELLY WAS AN IDIOT.

ONLY an idiot would've missed all those clues. Maybe the fact that she'd ended up being called to Chambers & Quinn for an interview wasn't enough to raise suspicion. However, when she'd met Spencer coming into the building the other day, she should've realized something was off, that there was no such thing as coincidence. She should have done her research.

"Good morning?" Marie, the receptionist, finally turned her attention to Kelly. "Can I help you?"

"H-hi," Kelly stuttered even as her gaze remained locked on the hallway that Spencer had just disappeared through. "I'm Kelly Garner, the new hire. I was told to come in today."

"Welcome!" Marie smiled brightly. "I'm Marie Scott. We talked the other day."

"Ah yes!" Kelly shook Marie's outstretched hand. "It's great to meet you in person."

"You too," Marie said. "I'm told that you'll be joining the Criminal Justice Division and working under Angelina. She's not in yet but I can show you to your desk."

Even as she followed the petite brunette, Kelly couldn't help wondering what she was doing. Right now she should be leaving this office, not trailing the receptionist deeper down the wide hallway. There was no way in hell she could work in the same firm as Spencer. Sure, she probably owed Angelina for this position but still...

Wait! A sudden thought struck her. What if her new job had nothing to do with Angelina? What if this was all Spencer? God, no. She didn't even realize she'd stopped walking until Marie stopped moving too and called out, "Hey, are you coming?"

"Sorry." Kelly trailed after the brunette even as her mind reeled with the implications of her new dilemma.

"You'll be sharing with the other junior members of Criminal Justice and the guys from Civil Lit," Marie said as she led the way into a spacious and airy office.

Four of the five desks in the space were already occupied by men. The men looked up from their work when Marie and Kelly walked into the room.

"Guys, this is Kelly. She'll be working under Angelina," Marie introduced. "Kelly, this is..."

Kelly struggled to keep track of everyone's names as Marie pointed them out one-by-one. There was Russell, the primary investigator for both teams, Casper, a paralegal under the Civil Litigation Division, Sam, a junior lawyer under the Civil Litigation Division, and Duke, a paralegal under the Criminal Justice Division.

They all looked like really nice people and welcomed her with smiles. Within ten minutes of talking, Kelly decided that she liked them. Her workspace wasn't too bad either. Even though the five of them were sharing an office, the space was big enough that there was a sizeable distance between her desk and the closest one. Additionally, the firm had sprung for the best furniture, computer hardware and storage cabinets. She was even allowed to pimp out her corner the way she wanted. To top it off, the job also came with free membership to the gym in the next building, comprehensive health insurance, free lunch at the swanky restaurant downstairs and discounts at the bar across the street. It would've been the perfect job, if Spencer wasn't here.

The introductions were barely over when Angelina herself walked in.

"Duke, where are the files-"Angelina stopped speaking when she saw Kelly. Her eyes lit up in unrestrained thrill and her mouth turned up in a smile. "Kelly, you're here."

"I am." Kelly forced a smile.

Angelina looked so happy to see her. How in the world was she going to tell her that she was quitting because she couldn't work in the same firm as Spencer? Just the thought of having to see his face every single day sent equal measures of distaste and anger pulsing through Kelly.