Chapter 4

"I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT BASTARD has the balls to work in the same company as you!" Sin exclaimed later that evening when Kelly told her about Spencer's presence at Chambers & Quinn. "I feel heated just thinking about it."

"To be fair, he owns the firm," Kelly said wearily. She was lying on their bed, her eyes closed, fighting a headache. This is what happened when one spent the whole day thinking about Spencer Chambers. She sighed. "I think I'll have to quit. That town ain't big enough for the both of us."

"What?" Sin's voice crackled with unrestrained anger. "Bullshit! He's the one who should quit."

"Like I said - his firm."

"Oh yeah. Forgot that." With a frustrated sigh, Sin plopped down next to Kelly. The ladies were quiet for quite some time, each lost in their own thoughts, before Sin spoke again. "Don't quit."

Kelly opened her eyes into thin slits and turned her head to look at her friend. "I have to."

"No, you don't have to." Sin shifted on the bed to lie on her side facing Kelly. "There are so many reasons why you shouldn't."

"Like?"

"One – he owes you," Sin explained. "Look, I hate the guy as much as you do and I'd be the last one to suggest that you let your issues with him go – that's A.J's thing, but -" She paused to give Kelly a pointed look. "- he tanked your career. It's only fair that he be the one to fix it. In fact you should be asking for a pay-raise to make up for the fact that the state won't even compensate you for wrongfully sending you to jail, not quitting."

"Maybe," Kelly reluctantly agreed. "But if I don't quit, I'll have to see his face day-in-day out. It will be a living hell."

"Then make his life a living hell too. But you know... do it sneakily." Sin's eyes twinkled with mischief. "Behind closed doors when no one's looking. He'll probably feel too guilty to fire you, but if he does at least you can say that you went out with a bang. Not that you crawled out with your tail between your legs like this."

Kelly winced at the image of the cowardly exit. "I suppose you're right."

"Of course I'm right." Her friend guffawed. "And if that isn't enough to convince you to stay at that law-firm then here's reason two; you need a job and money."

Kelly sighed. "Can't argue with that one."

"Exactly. And Spencer wants to give you both. It would be a crime not to take them."

Kelly had to laugh. "You're crazy."

"Just a little." Sin grinned. Perhaps sensing that Kelly was still on the fence, she added, "Also you need to consider reason three before you decide what your next step is going to be."

Kelly's eyebrows shot up. "There's a reason three?"

Sin nodded. "Number three; I already bought you a congratulatory suit. I don't think that store does refunds so you better get your ass back to Chambers & Quinn so you can wear it."

Kelly smiled. "You bought me a suit?"

"I did." With a grin, Sin bounced off the bed and skipped to the closet. A second later, she pulled out a red skirt-suit. "Ta-da."

"Why am I not surprised that it's red?" Kelly said with a smile even as she got off the bed to close the distance between her and Sin.

"Red for sexy." Sin rushed to add, "But the skirt is just as stupidly long as you like them to be."

"Oh wow, Sin." Kelly took the suit then drew her friend into an embrace. "This is really, really nice of you. Thank you."

"You're welcome." Sin patted her back.