03|((Gym Time.))

Axel

I leave the bookstore with the pens and pad I don't need, feeling good about this semester. Lacey has always been so hard to attract, but it seems like things are finally changing for the better. We've talked more today than we have in the entire time we've known each other, and I'm enjoying her even more than I thought I would. Meredith is still trying to come between me and any kind of happiness, but I refuse to let her waste anymore of my time.

I walk to my car and toss the school supplies into the passenger seat and grab my gym bag from the back seat. When one of my friends, Cooper, told me that Lacey worked at the bookstore by the gym, I had to know if he was right. Now I don't have to kick his ass for lying to me, but I'm sure I'll find something else to fight his cocky ass over soon. His attitude is always find a way to grate on my nerves.

I walk into the gym, pushing my earbuds into place and as soon as I step up to the counter to check in I'm already annoyed by the girl sitting behind it. She's eyeing me like I'm a piece of meat. I don't know how I'm not used to it already because it's happened to me most of my life, but it still annoys me no matter who it is. I hold my gym card out for her to scan and as she does she smiles, brushing her hand against my knuckles.

"Hey, Axel, enjoy your work out." She giggles, and I honestly feel like I could vomit at the sound of her laugh.

Instead of telling her that, I nod my head and push further into the gym toward the locker rooms. I need to get some good cardio in and lift weights bad, the fight Killian and I had earlier is still fresh in my mind. I'm hoping some extra gym time will make me a little less pissed at him.

Having a little brother is probably the best and the worst thing anyone could ever be gifted with. He's a built in boxing buddy, always down for a game of soccer, but at the same time his annoying ass mouth makes me not even want to hang out with him sometimes. The fight we had was so stupid, but he just wouldn't see my side of things. There's been a lot more of that the older he's gotten.

He doesn't understand that our last name and status will have girls falling all over him just so they can tarnish our family, get secrets on our dad, or find a way to twist our words for the media. I haven't always wanted to protect our image, sometimes I didn't care, but I learned my lesson the hard way and I don't want him to make the same mistakes, but he won't hear anything I've got to say.

He got upset because I told him to be selective with who he brings to my parents house. Mila, our younger sister told me he's had a different girl over every night and I can't let that continue. He's a fuck boy and he was raised better than that. When I confronted him he acted as if I had nothing to go on about. Like I would want a bunch of girls in our parents house and around our little sister. He didn't want to hear any of it.

I walk into the locker room, the warm air holding a strong smell made of body wash, shampoo, and sweat. There are showers running in the back and I run my eyes over the long wall of lockers to my right. One of my soccer teammates is coming out from one of the bathroom stalls as I move further into the room and he pulls me out of my thoughts about my brother.

"Hey, Axe, didn't know you were coming tonight. I would have waited for you."

I wave one of my hands. "It was a little last minute. Where are you headed now?"

"To get ready for Jenni Hale's party, supposed to be a rager." He's grinning, knowing soccer players at parties here get all of the special treatment. "I plan on being shitty drunk before even getting there. It should be pretty fun, you should come!"

I give him a sideways smirk, as I shake my head. "Ehh, I might. I'm not the biggest fan of that crowd if you know what I'm saying."

He laughs and slaps my back. "Yeah, we all know how koo-koo her friend is over you, but free booze and girls galore," he teases. "Just give it a little thought, we'd love to see you outside of the field or gym."

He starts to walk off as I reply. "Yeah, maybe, have fun if I don't see you."

"I plan on it." He chuckles and humps the air before laughing harder. After another shake of my head he twirls around and throws a hand in the air waving bye.

I walk into the locker room and quickly put all my stuff up. I want to get a good work out in and get out here at a decent hour so I move with a purpose. Sometimes, I get so lost in the gym that I look up only to realize I've been in here for five plus hours. I think it's a gift and a curse. My muscles only get stronger, but it doesn't make time for many other things, going out included. Everyone knows parties aren't much my scene and while most of my team loves a good time, it seems as if I have an entire different idea on what a good time requires.

Walking through the crowded gym, I hold my head held high with my earbuds slid into place in my ears and as the music starts to boom through the tiny speakers I feel myself falling into my zone. I get up to the track and pick up a jog immediately. There are a few other people walking and jogging already, but I push myself and I blow past them with long-strided ease. I circle the track a few times before picking up my speed and run until the burn in my chest is enough to make me feel satisfied with my cardio workout. I'm dripping with sweat as I come down the steps that lead to the weight room, but the adrenaline that courses through my body carries me down to the water fountain.

Once I'm finished with the water, I decide to bench press before squatting. There are athletes from the school all around I don't make eye contact with anyone. I don't want to chance them talking to me because all I want to do is focus on my workout and get out of here. When I get finished with benching I notice that it's nearing seven thirty and I want to hit the sauna before I leave. I let myself enjoy the hot, moist heat relaxing my muscles and do a little stretching while I'm inside the sauna room. The showers call my name once I leave the sauna and I'm thankful there are only a few guys showering when I arrive. I shower quickly anyway and once I'm dressed again I grab my bag and head out of the locker room, stopping at the smoothie bar at the front of the gym before I go. The banana I buy is still a little green just how I like and the lime green gatorade is as cold as it can be as it glides down my throat. I finish the banana and as I leave I slip the rest of my gatorade into my bag.

Looking up from my bag, I spot her.

She's the only her that won't stay out of my mind and I smile, thinking how fate must have been on our side again. I contemplate not going over to her, but the look on her face makes me want to go ask her what's wrong and I have no idea why. I can obviously tell she's thinking about something and could possibly be upset, but I can't for the life of me understand why I even care. Crossing the parking lot to where she is, I throw all caution to the wind and call out to her.

Sorry this chapter is a few days late. It's boon busy at my job so I've had less time to edit. I hope you enjoyed this "new" chapter that wasn't included in the OG version of the story. 

xo_kae