16

Celine

We pull into a McDonalds.

     "What do you guys want?" My grandmother asks.

     "Nuggets, please." Léo says, smiling.

"What about you, Celine?" She questions.

     "I'm not hungry."

     "You haven't eaten, though." Léo says.

     "I'm not hungry." I repeat.

"I'll get you nuggets, too." My grandma says. She says everything to the server, then drives to the next window. I lean my head back, wrapping my arms around myself. I'm tired.

Suddenly I feel guilty, and the image of my fathers frown when I didn't say goodbye back flashes through my mind. I clench my eyes shut in an attempt to get rid of it,

Then food is being passed back to Léo and I. He passes me a box of nuggets, chips and a water.

I eat a few chips and one nugget, and drink almost all of the water by the time we stop outside a small, cozy house.

"Here we are." My grandma announces.

I put my food back in the bag to bring with me before taking both bags off the floor. I juggle all of it as I climb out of the car.

"Let me help you, honey." My grandma says. She goes to take one of the bags, but I hold them back.

"I can carry them myself."

She arches an eyebrow but doesn't say anything, just lets me continue walking next to Léo, then up the stairs that lead to the front door. I walk in behind him and my grandfather.

"I'll show you your room, Celine." My grandma says.

     I follow her over to spiral stairs, then to the top of them. She leads me down a narrow hallway that makes me feel a little suffocated, then finally stops at a brown door. She pushes it open to reveal a small room with a single bed in the corner. Beside that is a desk, topped with a few notebooks. Apart from that, the room is bare with white walls and grey carpet.

     "Here you go." She says. "You finish eating your food, and then I'll come talk to you."

With that, she leaves, closing the door behind her and shutting me in. I bring my hand up to bite my nails before walking over to sit on the bed. I drop my bags to the floor, along with the McDonalds one.

     I look at it for a few moments, then sigh as I pick it up.

     I eat a few more chips before discarding the bag on the desk. I check my phone, finding a message from my father there.

     ADRIEN: I'm sorry I made you upset, sweetheart. Please message me when you can.

     ADRIEN: Or message if you need anything.

     There are some from my mother.

     MUM: I'm here, come out.

     MUM: Where are you?

     MUM: Don't waste my time.

     MUM: You have a minute to get out before I leave.

     MUM: Okay, I'm gone.

I frown and again click on my fathers message.

ME: K.