47

Celine

My dad comes in after about an hour. He sits beside me on the bed and pulls the covers tighter around me. "Celine." He whispers gently. "Do you wanna play Monopoly now?"

I shake my head.

"Are you going to sleep?"

I nod.

"Do you want me to stay with you?"

I shake my head.

"Alright." He leans down and kisses my cheek. "Goodnight, baby. I'll come check on you in a little bit. I'll put your phone here. Message me if you need anything."

"Okay." I whisper, my voice hoarse from how much I've been crying.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay?" He asks me gently.

I nod. He squeezes my shoulder before he leaves. I curl up into a ball and begin to cry again.

Adrien

I bring Celine breakfast in bed. When I walk into her room, she's awake, just staring at the wall with eyes full of tears. I sit beside her and gently move hair from her eyes.

     "Good morning, baby." I whisper.

     She shakes her head and rolls away. I furrow my eyebrows.

"Celine." I say gently. "Scarlett said she can do your hair in a few minutes, do you still want her to?"

She shakes her head again. "I'm tired."

"Okay." I respond, setting my hand on her back. I begin to rub it in small circles, and she relaxes under my touch.

"Dad." She whispers.

"Hm?"

"I'm really tired."

I furrow my eyebrows. But then I cover her up with the duvet fully. "I'll let you go back to sleep." I lean down and kiss her cheek, and she closes her eyes.

I leave the room.

I check on Celine again an hour before everyone else is supposed to arrive. She's sitting up in the bed now, still looking exhausted. She looks over at me, and doesn't return my smile as I sit down beside her.

"Hi, baby." I say. "What're you doing?"

She shrugs, exhaling a small breath. She leans on me and closes her eyes. My heart softens, and I wrap an arm around her, hugging her. She yawns.

"How are you feeling?" I ask gently, pushing hair back from her face. She looks up at me, confused like she's only just noticed I'm here.

For a moment she seems to space, then she shuffles toward the end of the bed. She climbs off, and I copy, ready to steady her if she needs it because she's sort of tilting to the side a little bit.