Chapter 6

Kaleth breathed out in irritation as he listened to that idiot Othar accuse him of stealing his keycard

Kaleth breathed out in irritation as he listened to that idiot Othar accuse him of stealing his keycard. He was right, of course, but Kaleth had better things to do than this. Unfortunately, he couldn't just leave as that would probably only make the other man think he was right. Also, Othar was blocking the door to Kaleth's office. Honestly, it hadn't even occurred to him that Othar might figure it out. He was starting to regret not letting Rayni use a fake card instead.

"...so just give it back and maybe I won't report this," Othar finished, crossing his arms and generally doing his best to look down at Kaleth, both literally and figuratively because Othar was taller than him.

"I. Don't. Have. It," Kaleth replied slowly, mirroring the other man's angry scowl. "Furthermore, you have no real evidence except for a hunch. You do realize that I could report your false accusations to the director?"

Noticing the badly hidden anxiousness that suddenly appeared in Othar's eyes after he had heard that made Kaleth feel very pleased with himself. "Maybe just drop a hint about this little incident when I randomly run into her. Who is she more inclined to believe?"

Othar glared at Kaleth fiercely, but it was obvious he knew he had lost this verbal battle. "I'll find that evidence, mark my words." With that he stalked away, giving Kaleth one last dirty look.

Kaleth just shook his head in exasperation. And Elrin wondered why he wasn't interested in promotions—most of their superiors behaved like children. Besides, he held as much authority as this asshat, he just didn't have a paper that said so.

Once he walked into his office and closed the door, he took a couple of seconds to breathe in and out a few times to calm down. It would hardly help anyone if he yelled at someone who didn't deserve it. Just when he was about to take a step toward his desk, there was a knock on his door. Kaleth couldn't help but let out an exasperated sigh. "Who is it?"

"Kara, Al, and Ray," said Kara's muffled voice through the wood of the door. Kaleth raised an eyebrow as he opened the door once again.

"That was fast," he commented as he let them in and closed the door again. "Have you cracked the database?"

"Well, yeah, but..." Kara pulled out her phone. Alor and Rayni watched her with interest, which probably meant that she hadn't told either of them yet. She touched the phone's screen a few times and then handed the phone to Alor.

"Look, I have no clue what the hell this is, but it looks like it could be useful." Alor stared at the phone with what appeared to be confusion for a moment before giving it to Kaleth. "We just need to find a linguist or something. If this is even a language—"

"What are you talking about? It's in Global," Kaleth said, looking at the other three with confusion.

"What?" Rayni asked, folding her arms. "Are you sure you didn't just close it and open something else?"