Chapter 6: An Arousing Art Exhibition

Penelope was here, which felt strange after seeing her absolutely everywhere, as if he'd called her to him. But she must be real. Why else would he be seeing her mother and Felicity behind her? He'd never seen them in the paintings... Actually, that wasn't true. He was sure he once saw a dragon with shrewd eyes that put him immediately in mind of Mrs. Featherington.

He saw those eyes now, looking him up and down. "Why, Mr. Bridgerton! We did not expect to find you here!" She actually sounded genuinely surprised, also far too happy about the prospect.

He glanced at Penelope, wondering if she'd told her mother that he'd proposed. He'd never thought she would, but why else would her mother be staring at him like a cat who'd got the cream? He smiled now, his eyes sliding to Pen. There was no way she'd have told her mother unless she meant to accept. He knew enough of the woman's penchant for marrying off her daughters to know...

"How fortuitous to know you appreciate art, as does my Felicity." Mrs. Featherington drew Felicity from behind her, practically shoving her at him.

"Ah, well..." So Penelope had not told her mother, not if she was pushing Felicity before him. It wasn't as if Mrs. Featherington hadn't tried it before. Though he quite liked Felicity, as much as anyone could like a disciple of Hyacinth and an actual child, he had no interest in courting her and he was quite sure she felt the same.

"My dear Felicity also has a great love of art," Portia Featherington cooed, "but I'm sure she doesn't know nearly as much as you on the subject."

Felicity scoffed at that from her place in front of her mother. Penelope seemed to be holding in a laugh.

Colin raised a brow at her before he turned to Felicity. "I assure you, that cannot be true." He gave Felicity an apologetic look. "I am certain you know vastly more than I, Miss Felicity."

"Oh, but you are being humble! Surely, we can use your knowledge to better appreciate these classics," Portia said, glancing around, not quite hiding her lack of appreciation in the twist of her mouth.

"You know, you must be confusing me with my brother... Benedict," Colin finished loudly, practically on a shout as he glanced about for rescue. "He is the artist in the family and knows much more than I could ever hope to learn."

Benedict was suddenly behind him. "Praise? From a member of my family?" He moved to Colin's side with a questioning glance.

Colin gave him a pleading glance in return and a very tiny nod to Penelope. "Benedict would be a much better guide. He's the one who dragged this art novice you see before you here. I barely know a Ruben from a... a Rembrandt."

Benedict laughed, squeezing him on the shoulder, as if to say he would suffer this for him. "My poor brother is right. Even in his travels, he's not managed to become the art scholar. And how lovely to see you, Mrs. Featherington, Miss Featherington, Miss Felicity," he said, nodding at each in turn.

"Yes, quite charmed," Portia Featherington said curtly, then turned to Colin. "But now that I think upon it, I've heard so little about your travels and—"

"Oh, but Mama!" Felicity clapped her hands. "Mr. Benedict Bridgerton is quite famous among artists and he should surely give us an expert tour!"

"You are too kind, Miss Felicity," Ben said, a hand to his chest as, Colin noted, he and Felicity shared a look and a slight nod. "I don't claim to be an expert, but let me see..." He glanced around, tapping his chin. "There are the works out here, but there are also Ruben's wooden panels in the back room. They are delicate and don't often travel, so this is a rare treat!"

Mrs. Featherington looked less than pleased. "But, surely—"

"Wood panels?" Felicity clapped her hands as if this was the most delightful thing she had ever heard. Funny, that. "Why, I had no idea this exhibit contained Rubens' panel work. I've heard of them, but never seen them." It was almost as if she, like Ben, knew he wanted Penelope alone. "Oh, Mr. Bridgerton," she said, turning to Benedict so there was no mistake. "Won't you please show us the panels first?"