Chapter 4: Thanks for the Scrumptious Meal, It Was Delectable

"Thanks for the Scrumptious Meal: It Was Delectable"

"Truly? You found it pleasing?"
Lana and I were ensconced at a rustic table on the ground level of the ancient tower. Sunset had painted its last strokes, leaving us in the company of night. Yet, the crackling hearth provided both a gentle warmth and a golden illumination, painting the chamber with its inviting light. The hall was outfitted with numerous tables and benches, suggesting it was more than a mere dwelling for the brigands. A meeting point, a dining area - a versatile space they had crafted within the stone structure.

Upon our arrival, a gnawing hunger reminded us of its persistent presence. The need for sustenance superseded all other concerns, and it was quickly decided - dinner must be procured. To our good fortune, the brigands' larder was far from barren. Deeming it a necessary pilferage, we selected enough for a modest meal. Lana took charge of our impromptu kitchen, her swift hands grilling the dry meat and cheese, carefully carving bread slices, and simmering a simple bean soup. My offer to assist was silenced by her brisk efficiency. It seemed I would be a stumbling block rather than a helper.

Ravenous as I was, I devoured the meal without allowing a moment's pause to savor the taste. Yet, even in my haste, the satisfying deliciousness was undeniable.

"So, shall we transition to conversation now?" I proposed.

"Whenever you are ready," Lana responded.

The initial topic of discussion would be my circumstances - a broad explanation, careful not to reveal too much. I was curious about Lana's knowledge of Dravus, but I deemed it prudent to establish a base of trust first. That didn’t mean I could divulge every minute detail of my life. How do I articulate my story without exposing too much? An intricate dance of words was required.

"I hail from a land far off... possibly across a vast sea, maybe even two, a land known as A- Ameria."

She nodded, her face an open canvas of curiosity,

"Alright..."

Ameria was a creation of my friends and I, a fictional realm born from our T&T adventures. Emberus, a character of our creation, hailed from Ameria, per his carefully crafted history. A slip of the tongue, not an outright lie. Yet, Lana's expression betrayed her disbelief.

"Honestly," I confessed, "my presence here is as much a mystery to me as it is to you. I have no recollection of my journey. A plausible explanation might be an arcane mishap, akin to your concept of weaving. This incident could have hurled me into this land, robbing me of consciousness in the process. The brigands, I assume, chanced upon my unconscious form and took me here."

"I see," she said, her voice a murmur of understanding.

She listened, attentively, to my ramblings. Yet, a cloud of skepticism loomed over her face. I couldn't blame her. The implausibility of my tale was glaring, even to me. However, it was still a shade better than confessing my roots lie in the United States of America on a planet known as Earth.

"Therefore," I continued, "I may exhibit certain behaviors or express certain views that might appear eccentric, in comparison to the customs here, or across this entire land. I assure you, though, I am nothing like that malevolent weaver, Karyon. If there's one truth I'd like you to believe, it's that I harbor no ill intent."

My declaration came with an intensity, but it was necessary to lay all my cards on the table. I could only hope that Lana found my tale believable, or at least saw sincerity in my character. I concluded my speech with a respectful bow of my head.

"I accept your word," she responded.

"I'm grateful, truly."

"To be frank," Lana said, her eyes thoughtful, "the first half of your tale is somewhat hard to digest, yet I believe it's safe to assume you're no Black Weaver."