Chapter 5: After

After the final fiend had been dispatched by the hands of our intrepid company, we pressed forward on our journey. Queries, mostly from Eryn and a handful of the others, were hurled in my direction and that of Lana, aiming to unravel the mystery of our presence. Petr, however, quickly intervened. In his sensible, straightforward fashion, he reminded everyone of the paramount importance of our immediate survival over satisfying curiosity. The consensus was unanimous, and without further ado, we continued on our path, Lana and I followed the adventurers, she astride a spectral steed.

Petr, surveying our surroundings, finally spoke, “This seems an acceptable stopping point, for the moment." We halted our march mid-way along a mountainous trail, just shy of a tautly strung suspension bridge that spanned a gaping chasm. Petr’s judgment seemed rooted in strategy; the bridge acting as a natural choke point would provide us with the advantage, should we need to make a swift escape or mount a defense.

"I am Petr, of the adventuring kin from Vindaris. We were summoned to rescue the maiden from the grasp of ruthless marauders," he declared.

Lana could not hide her triumphant cry, “I knew it!”

Petr took it upon himself to enlighten me about his troupe’s circumstances, with the precision of a scholar. Judging by his bow, his quiver, and the rest of his gear, I deduced his role was that of a ranger. His composure and intelligence were reminiscent of the seasoned academicians who often host overseas nature chronicles.

Petr’s words corroborated my speculations, and Lana seemed on the brink of shedding tears of pure relief.

As he was about to continue, I interrupted him. “Hold on…Just give me a moment, please!”

Consistent with my initial appraisal, Petr emerged as the most inquisitive of the lot. He had held back his curiosity before, but now it was palpable that he was poised to flood me with his inquiries.

"What do you wish to say?" Petr inquired.

"My situation is a touch convoluted. Therefore, before you delve into your questions, might I request a moment to elucidate my circumstances? My name is Emberus Blazeus Xandros, and I am a wielder of arcane arts—a Mage."

"A...Mage?"

Barely had I completed my introductory statement before I was met with a wave of skepticism from the adventurers. The weaver’s scrutinizing gaze was particularly piercing. It didn’t help that she was a radiant beauty, blond and blue-eyed, with an aura of immense passion. But I chose to disregard their suspicious glances and proceeded with my explanation.

I told them of my origins in a far-off land and of an unfortunate magical mishap that had catapulted me into the neighboring mountains. I outlined my tale succinctly: my capture by brigands, my struggle against them, my rescue of Lana, and my current mission to deliver her to her presumed father in Maridal.

"If you aim to spin tales, you might wish to practice more," the weaver retorted, her expression tinged with disdain. "Your narrative lacks credibility."

This weaver, formally known as Eryn Marion, was clad in a fitted shirt and trousers beneath her cloak, all of which bore the hallmarks of fine craftsmanship and value.

"Miss Eryn is of noble lineage," Lana whispered to me in explanation. "It would be prudent not to incite her ire."

Indeed, in my former role as a seasoned employee at a large corporation, I had had my share of encounters with strong-willed women such as her under my supervision. Regardless of her striking beauty, I reassured myself that I should be able to maintain my composure under her words. Or at least, that was the pep talk I gave myself. If I were genuinely self-assured, I might not have needed such an internal discourse in the first place.