Chapter 15

Valeria's pov

Numb.

All the rage, sadness and disbelief I felt a moment ago has disappeared. I didn't cry, scream or break things. I just sat on my bed holding a picture of Nathan and staring at the wall.

How can he say something so cruel?
I wasn't the first to tear Evelyn's head off either when I heard she had been with Lucas! I don't mind it at all, she's just one of the others.

I wish Opal were here. She could advise me what to do now. I don't want to be with Lucas, that's for sure but I don't know whether I'm cruel enough to reject him..

My anger started to return as I smelled his scent coming closer to my room. I glared at the door but remained silent. Why is he just standing behind my door?

Whatever. I have no intention of talking to him.

Lucas knocked on the door but I remained silent.

"Valeria?"

Shivers ran down my spine. What the heck? How his voice sounds much deeper than before.

"Mate, please open the door." He continued but I stayed where I was.

"I'm Onyx, Lucas's wolf. Please, I need to talk to you."

This piqued my interest. I've been without Opal for so long that I didn't even remember thinking about Lucas's wolf.

I got up and opened the door just as he was about to knock again and looked at him blankly.
This was really difficult because the only thing that distinguishes him from being Lucas is the golden glowing eyes.

"Okay, come in." I said and went back to sit on the bed. I put Nathan's picture back on the table and looked at Onyx.

Onyx stared at the picture of me and Nathan for a moment before sitting down next to me. There was no irritation or jealousy on his face. Only worry and sadness. I looked at him questioningly.

"I want to apologize for Lu-"

"Can you block Lucas from your mind? I don't want him to be part of this conversation." I interrupted him.

"Of course my love." He answered without hesitation and I couldn't help the tingling feeling in my chest when he called me love.

Onyx got off the bed and knelt in front of me. I was totally taken aback by this gesture. He took my hands and looked me in the eyes and began to speak.

"Valeria my love, I want to deeply apologize for Lucas' behavior. I don't blame you for anything and I'm sorry for your loss."

Onyx glanced at Nathan's picture and gave a small smile. "I can't imagine how it would feel to lose Liam. Even though he and his wolf annoy me many times, he's still my best friend." He looked back at me and continued.

"I've always been against Lucas' actions because you were the only one I ever wanted even before I found you. We haven't been on good terms for four years and for the last two years I haven't even spoken to him unless it's about leading the pack. My stupid human never listens and now we are paying the ultimate price for it." Onyx turned his gaze to the floor.

"I know it's too much to ask, but I wish you could give us one more chance. Lucas may be an idiot but I would like to prove that I can be the mate you deserve. But I understand if you want to reject us.." His voice broke towards the end.

I was in shock. The Alpha of the second strongest pack in front of me is at breaking point because he's afraid of losing me.

I'm sure Opal would have fallen in love with Onyx instantly. I myself feel more connected to him than to Lucas.

I slid off the bed so that I was on Onyx's lap and almost laughed at his shocked expression. I smiled at him.

"I can't say I'm excited when I had to be with Lucas, he hurt me really badly. That's why I wish I could create a bond with you first. I'm not rejecting you, but it's only because of you Onyx." I told him.

The most enlightening smile of all appeared on his face and he hugged me, burying his head in my neck.

"I'll make sure you won't regret this my love."
He purred against my neck. Yep, purred. I chuckled and pushed him away. The big bad Alpha pursed his lips and I laughed harder at him.

We stood up and sat back on the bed. A comfortable silence fell between us as we just looked at each other.

For the first time, I studied Lucas' appearance in more detail. His light brown hair was cut in a faux hawk style and was perfectly styled.
At the moment when Onyx was in control his eyes were golden and not Lucas' light hazel.
He also had a few faint freckles on his cheeks. A really handsome man.

Suddenly Onyx became serious.

"What's wrong?" I asked worriedly.

"I uh, I was just wondering what your wolf was like? I heard you lost her some years ago." He answered cautiously.

I felt a sting in my heart. Of course they have heard about what happened and now Onyx has no wolf mate.

I smiled sadly at him.
"Yeah. I'm sorry you don't have a wolf mate. Opal died so that I could be saved."

"Opal." He tested the name out loud.
"She had a beautiful and unique name."

Then he touched my cheek and looked into my eyes.

"Don't ever think you're not enough for me Valeria. Of course it would have been great if Opal was with us, but she did the right thing by saving you." He smiled and kissed me on the cheek.

My emotions were in overdrive and I was really confused. How can a wolf and his human be so different?

I feel like I'm already falling in love with Onyx. He treats me so well and I can feel how much he cares for me.
So I decided to do something that will surely make him happy and also show him my gratitude. I looked at him and asked

"Would you like to see her?"