Chapter 38 - Questions

CHAPTER 38

CHAPTER 38

QUESTIONS

Russell's POV

"Ma!" Sab moved swiftly toward the opposite table. She seems excited, but I could also tell that she is nervous. Halata sa galaw niyang pinipigilan niya ang sarili niyang yumakap sa babaeng kaharap niya.

I stood up quietly and went to her side. Pinagmasdan ko ang mukha ng nanay niya. I can see the resemblance on their faces...

"I'm sorry, who are you?"

Sab frowned but she immediately masked her confused feelings with a smile. "Ma, it's me. Your daughter, Sab..." Tears started to cloud her eyes. It appears as though she is soaking up all the little detail she can about her mother. She clearly yearns for the affection of the person in front of her, na kahit wala siyang sinasabi, pagmasdan ko pa lang siya ay ramdam ko na ang ninanais ng puso niya.

Binaba ng lalakeng katabi nito and tinidor na hawak pagkatapos ay tumaas ang kanyang mga kilay. "Daughter? What the hell is this about?"

"I don't know, Phil! I'm just as confused as you are."

The young girl seated next to them remained silent but I caught her closely observing Sab's appearance from head to toe.

Sab appeared to be entirely unaware of other people. She kept staring at her mother as if she were the most valuable thing in the world. Then, to everyone's surprise, she reached for her mother's hand. "I can't believe it. After all these years, I always knew you'd come looking for me. Did my father let you know I'm here in Brooklyn? Is that the reason why you're in the city? Because you learned that I'm studying here?"

"I-I think you've mistaken me for someone else." Tinabig nito ang kamay ni Sab na para bang nandidiri pa siya. "Leave!"

I growled lowly and pulled my girlfriend away from her. "Hey, you don't have to be rude."

"Then stop bothering us or I'll call the police. Young lady, I am not your mother. Please get your facts straight." She sounded pissed off, she even exhaled loudly.

I looked at Sab and I could see that she was deeply shocked. I took that as a cue to hold her hand and remove her from the scene. I paid for our order but did not take the food. Gusto ko na lang talaga mailayo siya dito dahil alam kong nahihirapan na siyang intindihin ang sitwasyon.

"I-I don't get it. That's my mom. Kilala ko ang mukha niya. I can't be wrong about her."

Hindi na muna ako umimik. I just squeezed her hand until we were outside. Hihilahin ko na sana siya papunta sa kotse ko nang magpumiglas siya sa hawak ko.