14

☆Magnets pov☆

"wonder if she's still alive" Squid thought aloud

"probably not" Armpit remarked from his bed a couple feet away.

"shut up don't say that shit" I hissed. we were talking about Yn. she and zero had left a couple days ago, and earlier today Stanley took off too. there were two new kids now, which was rather quick. I glanced over at one of them, his name is Quin. he doesn't talk much.

"low key miss Yns annoying ass" X ray mumbled. yn had found her way to all of our hearts, she was likable and funny. we all missed her, but celebrated the fact she didn't have to deal with this shit anymore.

☆third person pov☆

Quin turned his head to a group of boys near him. 'Yn? like my Yn?' he thought. she had told him he was coming here, that one day she hung out of the cruiser, and they all hugged her goodbye. When he showed up he was desperate to find her and explain why his letters stopped. when there wasn't one girl in the whole camp, he assumed she went to juvie or something. maybe he was wrong.

"Yn Ln?" He asked. everyone's heads swung towards him.

"yes" Magnets eyes narrowed at him.

"why" Zig Zag asked. Quin shifted in his spot on the edge of his bed.

"she's a friend, from dallas" he said in an equally cold tone that they had used.

"Oh shit" magnet widened his eyes.
he pointed a finger at the boy

"you're Quin Quin" the sentence didn't make sense but he knew what he meant.

"yn talked about you all the time" he explained. Quin looked down and smiled. he looked back up with a straight face.

"where is she now?" Quin asked, concerned. the boys all took on unreadable expressions.

"her and Zero took off the other day. into the desert" magnet explained and cocked his head in the direction of the digging site. fear churned in Quins gut. was yn alright? into the desert? was she even alive by now?

☆Yns Pov☆

we had all decided to make our way to what Stanley called 'gods thumb'
we walked in the heat of the sun, until it began to set.

"so are you two like- together?" Stanley asked as we got closer to the mountain. I looked over at zero, who was already looking at me. we were walking behind Stanley, out of his eyeline.

"we haven't talked about it?" I said it almost like a question, looking at Hector for any confirmation.

"yeah" was all he said as he stared back at me. we finally reached gods thumb and began climbing. I felt light headed.

"were almost there" Stanley encouraged as we walked along the path for a short moment, then had to climb up to another little walkway.
I held my shovel up, which they both grabbed, pulling me up with them.
I climbed to my feet. I wiped sweat off my forehead. my mouth began to water, I bent over holding my stomach

"I don't feel so goo-" I began before puking. I dropped to my knees as I did so. Hector felt to his behind me, holding my hair back for the second time. I wiped my mouth. Hector stroked my hair gently as I recovered.

"you alright yn?" Stanley asked, crouching infront of me.

"yeah I'm good" I mumbled

"you sure you look pale" zero said worriedly, brushing a Strand of hair out of my face. I nodded, and tried to stand, failing and stumbling forward into Stanley. I looked up at him and backed away.

"my bad" I said and picked up my shovel. I looked over at zero, who had an angry look on his face, then to Stanley who was red in the face

"anyway.." I trailed off walking to the next ledge and beginning to climb it. they followed me and we continued on like this for a while.

we were halfway up by now. I looked back at zero as he bent over and puked. I ran to him, abandoning the ledge infront of me. I held his hair back this time and leaned him against the rock.

"shit Z are you alright" he mumbled something that was too quiet to hear.
I leaned forward.

"what? shit I'm out of water" I cursed the empty cantina in my hand. the other hand held zero up. Stanley crouched beside me. I lifted my hand from zero to push my cantina away. Hector fell to the side and almost off the ledge. me and Stanley scrambled to his feet and pulled him up.

"is he alright? what do we do? shit" I rambled. Stanley lifted Hector onto his back.

"we keep going" he said with a certain determination.

and that we did. we reached the top of God's thumb and looked around in awe. my jaw dropped.

"holy shit" I ran forwards. Stanley sat Hector down as I fell to my knees in the water. the green plants around me smelled sour, but I didn't mind. I cupped my hands and drank the muddy water. I mean when your dying water is water.

"Z! wake up man" i shook his shoulder
I reached down and splashed water onto his face. he gasped and sprang awake.

"what-" he began before looking around.

"holy shit" he mumbled. we all drank he water and laid down. Stanley pulled up one of the plants examining the vegetable. he took a bite.

"it's an onion" I grabbed it from him, sitting up now taking a bite.

"sweet as shit too" I furrowed my brows. Stanley pulled up two more, handing one to Hector. we ate for the first time in days. my eyes began to feel heavy and we all eventually fell asleep.

...

I woke up sweating even though the temperature had dropped dramatically. nightmares about the fight plagued my dreams every night.
I sat up on the cold dirt. I stood and walked away from the sleeping boys, to a rock near the edge. I sat there with my knees to my chest. movement behind me startled me slightly. Hector sat down next to me now.

"what happened?" He asked finally. I looked over at him.

"couldn't sleep" I mumbled. he raised a brow.

"sure" he spoke in a certain tone, he knew I was lying. we sat there in silence for a couple minutes, neither of us knowing what to say.

"what are we gonna do" I sighed and looked down at my feet. we were so far. from dallas, from camp, from everything.

"I don't know sometimes i wish I'd stayed" he admitted. I looked up at him. his face had a sunken expression. I thought about everything he had to deal with, shit everything I had to deal with. and all these kids had homes and families and normal lives and they chose to fucl shit up. I would give anything to have half of what Stanley does.

"this shits messed" I groaned angrily.

"this camp is- these kids- everything's so-" I stuttered, trying to find the right words. I have up and sat in silence once more.

"different" zero shrugged. I nodded.

"i mean when all is said and done those kids go home and we.." he motioned towards the camp way out in the distance as he spoke. I knew exactly what he ment. we don't.

"there's us and-" he began

"then there's them" I finished.

the words hung in the cool hair and for the first time in a long time, I could really breathe. feeling like someone finally got it. I wasn't alone. I realized how lonely I had actually been and how lonely Hector probably was. or maybe I'm the problem and hectors fine. Hector deals with himself, keeps to himself, seems to be fine with being by himself.. why can't I figure it out? but the way he looked over at me, with the faintest smile on his face- I knew he was lonely too. now we're- lonely together. lonely- with the comfort of knowing that, maybe you're lonely but you're not alone.

he took my hand in his.

"I'm fine with that" he mumbled. I smiled at him.

"yeah? me too"