Chapter 5 (Awakening the Heart)

A plan was about to be set in motion, and everyone was looking for a hideout for Will. However, I felt like an outsider to everything around me. I wanted to be involved in the commotion, so I decided to get to know these kids. Steve appeared to be their protector and the keeper of my music - which I'm unsure he's aware of. The thing is, I need to understand my place here, and Steve is my only option for knowing anything at all. My time is running out quickly due to my unnerving feeling of leaving without knowing more about Hawkins.

I approached the window while looking for Steve and saw that a shed in the backyard was being emptied onto the grass. I was just about to go outside to see if Steve was there when Dustin called my name. He asked if I knew what was going on, and I admitted that I was confused by the mind-flayer situation. Dustin explained that Hawkins was known for strange happenings and that everything that had happened so far involved their friend Will. He then asked if Max had invited me to help, and when I said yes, he shook my hand and welcomed me as part of the team. Dustin also mentioned that Steve had my Walkman and had recognized me from the day I hid in the woods. He said it was nice to meet me and finally called me Linda.

The experience of having my Walkman with Steve was unique. He was the keeper of my music! However, I couldn't shake the feeling that he might have already listened to my playlist and didn't know how to approach me. I wonder which songs he had already come across? Could it be that we have similar tastes in music? Despite all of this, I wonder if we could become closer without trying to open our hearts to each other if we have a genuine connection. Everyone had their plans, and Steve was still nowhere in sight. I started to observe what the others were up to. Dustin was pacing around, looking worried, while Lucas and Max conversed on the floor. It felt like everyone was on edge with what had already happened. It had something to do with Will being the cause of it all. It wasn't until something started happening by the shed that I noticed the lights flickering on and off.

After a while, the police officer returned to the room and informed us of what had happened in the shed. It appeared that Will was trying to escape, but something was holding him back. He revealed that while Mike, Joyce, and Jonathan were talking to him, he was tense and trying to communicate using Morse code. They went back to continue the conversation and gather more information from him. As they did so, Nancy asked for my help writing down the message that Will was sending. The police officer signaled for us to see the following message, and I realized I would sit next to Steve. As I sat down, he reassured me that everything would be okay and whispered to me, "You got this," while placing his hand on my back, calming my nerves.

We worked together in unison as each letter was spelled out, waiting for the following indication. The letters C, L, O, S, E, G, A, T, and E were spelled out, forming the word "CLOSEGATE". I couldn't fathom what it meant. Suddenly, the phone rang, and Nancy swiftly picked it up, only to throw it on the ground. I asked Steve if it would be an issue, to which he replied, "It's just a phone; it could be anywhere." However, something in me felt like he wasn't telling the whole truth. Suddenly, the sound of monsters screeching could be heard in the distance.

                                                                                       POV

We were all prepared for a fight, knowing something dangerous was approaching us. Steve had a bat of nails, Nancy had a shotgun, Lucas had a slingshot, and the police officer had his gun. We were all looking for any sign of movement, ready to attack when necessary. I was standing right behind Steve, holding my ground and hoping we would survive. Suddenly, we heard screeching and thudding sounds coming closer and closer. My heart was beating fast, and I closed my eyes to ease the pain. The area became silent, but then we heard the sound of glass breaking. That's when a Demogorgon emerged from the window and landed in the house. It was not a nightmare; it was real.