Chapter 17: Cassia's Rampage

"What the fuck? Not even a scratch?" Under the pale moonlight, Suzuki, Natsu and the others stared at the enraged Cassia. The air crackled with equal parts anticipation and dread, set alight by the alien creature glaring at them with blazing intensity.

Cassia's alien eyes, filled with fury and determination, fixed upon Suzuki in the distance. He paid no heed to the many Gladiators, his sole focus locked onto the exposed human. "You." Cassia's eyes turned red, recognition apparent in his glare.

How did he recognize Suzuki? Cassia did not grant them the time even to ponder that question!

Thrusters on Cassia's back ignited before anyone could react. ZOOM! With an explosive surge of energy, Cassia launched towards Suzuki in the blink of an eye, his movements fluid and calculated. His massive frame moved with astonishing speed, instantly closing the distance between them. The sheer force behind his subsequent punch created a gust of wind that parted the shallow waters.

Eyes wide, Suzuki's instincts kicked in. Faced with strength many times above his, the youth just about swung the large, salvaged sword. Sword struck an armoured fist in an explosive blast, temporarily clearing the waters around them. Unfortunately, without his suit, Suzuki was severely underpowered in the confrontation. The strike sent him flying, but not before he grabbed Natsu, pulling her along.

Cassia, meanwhile, frowned. He felt the impact, but something was not right. He quickly replayed the previous exchange in his mind. As expected, he found the discrepancy. Though it seemed like his punch sent Suzuki flying, the youth had leapt backwards one second before he threw his punch. As a result, Suzuki willingly transformed most of the momentum to assist him in clearing the distance. If he wasn't so enraged, Cassia might have been impressed by the crazy instincts.

However, Suzuki destroyed his mech. As a pilot, Cassia would never forgive whoever blew up his mech! It was irreconciliable! The mad general braced to chase the fleeing culprit but quickly retreated. BOOM!

The ground where Cassia had erupted with violent explosions as dozens of rockets rained down quickly. "Vermin!" Cursing in anger, Cassia's engines roared, but he turned and punched behind him. BANG! Sparks flew as his fists struck a pair of daggers, sending their wielder skidding back. Cassia turned around to see a slim, sky-blue Berserker. The custom fox head revealed its wielder's identity.

"Where do you think you're going?" Kimuri's uncharacteristic soft growl charged the air with an intense fighting spirit. The young man's attack bought the others the few seconds required to set up a good perimeter around Cassia's colossal figure.

"Fine," Cassia growled as an intimidating helmet reminiscent of a forsaken demon formed over his head. The demon's red 'eyes' met the collective determination of the trainees, a silent understanding that this battle would play a significant stake in the fate of this planet.

"Fire!" Without standing on ceremony, Ayumi led the ranged fighters to open fire. The air cracked with energy as a storm of projectiles hurtled towards Cassia's imposing form.

Faced with the onslaught, Cassia snorted. The alien general activated a shimmering forcefield, its ethereal energy repelling the onslaught of incoming attacks. The lasers and missiles fizzled out against the barrier, leaving Cassia unscathed.

"So, that's how he survived the explosion." Ayumi's eyes narrowed, but she quickly adapted. "Be careful; the enemy is capable of deploying a forefield. We don't know whether it's an innate ability or tied to his suit. Ranged units use low-calibre, large-quantity rounds to test the shields. Melee fighters. Get in there. Let's see how he does in close-range."

A few initially dismayed trainees quickly regained their poise under Ayumi's calm orders. Several Gladiators charged at Cassia, wielding gleaming swords, spears and halberds that crackled with deadly potential, their swift movements a testament to well-honed combat training.