Humble

Ally's Pov:

Telling my sister everything was...

a very humbling experience, for me personally.

First, she was shocked. As in, nearly screaming her head off when I told her what had happened Saturday night.

She couldn't believe I "had it in me" to kiss someone like that for the first time. She always thought I was a bit shy when it came to romantic gestures, so the fact that my first kiss with Axel ended up being way more than just an innocent kiss caught her completely off guard. 

Then, she was excited for me. Rambling about how great of a couple Axel and I would make, and how she can finally relax on finding someone worthy of me. 

But then, she started asking questions that I wasn't quite ready to answer yet. 

For one, how am I going to tell my parents? 

I had laughed it off to Ella, saying that Axel and I aren't even dating yet, so that wouldn't be something to worry about just yet. 

But she only gave me a look that said, "You know you will have to tell them eventually," which made my stomach twist in a way that made me nauseous. 

My parents are very old-money, old-school kind of people. They believe that where a person comes from is a very important part of who they are.

Translation, they came from a well-established family, good. Anything else, bad. 

I don't know much about Axel's family. I know that he has two older brothers, one younger brother, and two loving parents... but that's about it. 

Axel will slip in comments here and there when he is complaining about his brothers or talking about his Mom, but he doesn't go into much detail about it. 

I can't say I'm any better. 

The only person I ever talk about to him is Ella, not just because she's my twin, but because she's my built-in best friend. 

Whenever I talk about a childhood memory, Ella's name is just naturally mentioned because we nearly spent every second together growing up. 

I don't know if he's caught on yet that I never talk about my parents. If he did, he hasn't mentioned anything about it, which I'm glad about. 

After talking a bit more with Ella, and reasoning with her to not book the next plane ticket out here, I call decide to call it a night. 

The next morning was uneventful. Classes went by swiftly, and the next thing I know I'm sitting with Claire, Zoe, and Sophia in the dining hall for lunch. 

I had my fingers crossed all morning that I would somehow run into Axel heading to one of my classes. Not to sound clingy or anything, but I was dying to see his handsome face. 

I had woken up to a cute little Goodmorning text from him, which basically had me blushing before I took my first step out of bed. 

Claire made sure to tease me for it the rest of the morning, which made me even more flustered walking into class. 

"Disgusting," Claire says, pushing her tray to the middle of the table while her face scrunches. 

"It's not that-... bad," Sophia says, stumbling over her words when she shoves, what's supposed to be mashed potatoes, into her mouth. 

I don't think mashed potatoes are supposed to be gooey like that, but since everything in the dining is oddly shaped, I've learned to close my eyes before taking a bite.

"I don't even think I remember what real food tastes like," Zoe whines, pushing her food around with her fork.

"I do. It had flavor, taste, and texture. The days when my tastebuds were actually happy." Claire sighs.