chapter five

v: coincidence

v: coincidence

(late october, 1991)

Art came over the next day. They were to make apple cinnamon scones and a new recipe she had for chocolate caramel cookies.

The door ran at exactly 10am. Art was always exactly on time to everything.

"Art!!!!!" Lydia exclaimed jumping into him with a hug.

"Hey, Dia" Art said into her hair as they hugged.

They pulled apart and she punched him in the arm which caught Art way off guard and he gaped at Lydia.

"Your a bitch, Lydia. You know that right!" Regulus exclaimed still at the open door.

"You love me though and don't call a woman a bitch Art. It's very unbecoming" Lydia sighed in fake disappointment.

"Your very unbecoming" Art said back. She laughed sarcastically.

"Great comeback" Lydia replied in a serious manner.

"I know" Art retorted all nonchalant like she was being serious.

***

"Oh, I can't wait for you to meet my neighbor. James is so nice, you'll totally hate him" Lydia joked.

Art hums in acknowledgment.

"He's coming over with his friends, Millie's coming over too. You should come!" Lydia explained enthusiastically.

"It's silly to ask but what's his last name?"

"Potter" Lydia answered. Art turned pale with a look of horror.

"Oh" he said and then went back to cutting the apples, like nothing had happened.

"Why are you being weird?" Lydia asked with a frown.

"It's probably just a coincidence" Art explained.

"What is?" Lydia asked confused.

"Remember New Years Eve of '87?" Art said. Lydia had no idea what he was talking about. No fucking clue. And then it hit her.

****

ART'S OLD APARTMENT
LONDON, ENGLAND
NEW YEARS EVE, 1987

It was nearing midnight and the room was too silent for Lydia so she brought up a cheesy topic. Something every person asks another person their getting to know. She wanted to know more about Art so why not ask?

"Art, who was your first love?" Lydia asked. Art took a drag of his cigarette and then answered like the drama queen he was.

"No one" Art answered point blank. No hesitation.

"Everybody has one. You must have had at least a crush! Come on give us something" Millie said joining in.

"If I tell you guys will you fuck off?" he said with a sigh putting out his cigarette and dropping it into a random red solo cup that was next to him.

"Totally" Lydia replied. Millie nodded.

"His name was James Potter. He was just this amazing human being and I ruined it. I thought he was like the love of my life or some shit. But honestly I couldn't give less of a fuck now" Art ranted and then lit another cigarette like he hadn't just said a bunch of deep shit.

He was totally unflinchingly sure of it. Damn, Lydia wishes she could give as much fucks he does.

"I'm lying by the way. I do still give a fuck. I always will. Just don't tell anybody. It'd ruin my reputation" Art said and then took a drag of his cigarette.

Silence.

"What reputation?" Millie joked. That brought a big laugh out of Lydia.

"Fuck off" the grey eyed man said with an amused smile. He took a drag of his cigarette again and then put it out. Man is a chain smoker at this point. He buys a new box like every three days.

"Let's eat. Maybe get takeaway. You guys are paying though because you manipulated me into baring my soul" Art said like he's not a delusional prick.

"Sure whatever you say" Millie laughed and they all ordered pizza and till today Lydia honestly forgot they ever had this conversation. I mean, it was four years ago!

***

"Yeah, must be one." Lydia agreed and the day continued.

Art leaves a few hours later, says he has some things to take care of.

She asks him if he'll come back after he's done and join them.

He doesn't give a clear answer.

Millie arrives later and helps her set the table.

She says Art can't make it.

Lydia asks how she knows.

Millie says he called her about it.

Why didn't he just call Lydia?

Weird.

***

yeah, in my fic jegulus happened cause i say so and i love them. obviously their not the endgame couple but i just wanted to add some content of them. i promise next chapter will have james in it! i just wanted to give some background on lydia and i wanted to write about regulus cause i love him so much and his friendship with lydia and millie. but yeah james has barely appeared in this fic so we'll see him next chapter and what he's up to, promise!