Chapter 4: I Felt it in a Dream | WINNER

City of Fairtide; Mortal Realm

As soon as the decision had been made to leave the Elemental Realm, Louise summoned a portal. Sophia glanced over her shoulder, looking at the semblance of a life she was leaving behind. Saeburg was the first place she'd felt like herself since becoming an Aquarid.

"Come on, Soph," Cassandra urged, reaching out her hand. "We have to hurry."

With one last look, Sophia followed through the portal.

"Goodbye," she whispered. She had only just found Thomas again and now she had to leave him.

The portal dropped them in the mortal realm, and they landed on the grassy bank in the city of Fairtide. Funky music carried over the treetops from the city.

"Are we going to talk about what happened?" Lily asked. She crossed her arms over her chest. "Last time I checked, the crown wasn't supposed to do that. As elemental wielders we should be able to touch it."

"Will you keep your voice down?" Cassie hissed.

"Let's not discuss this now," Louise said. "We all need to get some sleep first and we'll discuss where to go in the morning."

They waited while Louise used her magic to alter the memories of the oblivious mortals who roamed the city streets. The house they always returned to no matter the location—with magic, anything was possible—welcomed them back as if nothing had changed.

Yet, everything had changed.

"We'll figure out the powers," Cassie tried to reassure Sophia. She reached out a hand to place it on Sophia's shoulder but pulled back at the last second and walked up the stairs.

Even her own family was afraid of her.

Sophia climbed the stairs to her room, breathing in familiar scents of salty air. But the pollution of the city masked the normally calming scent in an odor of frustration and smoke. With a sigh from exhaustion, she fell into a deep slumber wishing to know why she had been chosen and what would be next.

It called to her.

In a dream, it called out to her, beckoning her forward. It radiated power, a force so strong, matching what was buried deep within her soul. It glowed bright blue. Then orange. Green. And finally, silver.

A stone to give her anything she desired.

She didn't know why, but she had to have it.

Sophia followed the feeling out of the house half a mile from the beach. With barely noticeable steps, she glided forward, past closed businesses and sleeping homes. The waves of the ocean crashed against the rocks that dotted the edge of the water.

She stepped forward, one with the waves. Diving beneath, she swam to the deepest depths to follow the call. Waiting. Yearning. Desiring. Needing.

The stone winked at her as she drew closer. Sophia reached out a webbed hand. She was so close, she could almost taste it. Her conscience took over, pulling her back and away from the source of power.

Sophia, you don't want to do this, the voice echoed in her head. But it was a lie.

The stone slipped from her view, but still Sophia swam forward. Deeper into the ocean than she'd ever traveled before. The light grew brighter still. The elemental magic that coursed through Sophia's veins pulsated. Her body glowed. Reaching her fingers out, she clasped them around the stone.

At last.

A flash of bright white light emanated from the sphere, enveloping Sophia in a blinding cloud. She held up a hand to shield her eyes. Energy surged through her body.