chapter fifteen

c h a p t e r f i f t e e n ; alone

Elizabeth was always surrounded by people. If not her family, Clary and Simon, if not them, she was always around someone. Now, she felt alone. She knew family was the most important thing, it always has been, but choosing to stay with Raphael and his vampire clan had cut the last string she shared with Clary. And she knew Simon was going to follow Clary anywhere— even if he had the possibility of dying.

"I want you to find out what's going on with your sister," Ester told Manuel. "You're the closest one to her, she's just not herself anymore." Manuel nodded.

The night of Alec's wedding, Elizabeth had promised to be home. Except she didn't come home until noon the next day, and didn't say anything except went to sleep, not answering her parents' questions about her whereabouts.

"Mami and papi went grocery shopping," Manuel told Elizabeth when she looked in the near empty fridge. "Here, I got some food delivered," he slid a container full of lo mein.

"Thanks," Elizabeth mumbled opening the container. She had dug into the plastic bag and took out plastic fork and began eating.

"You have them worried, you know."

Elizabeth looked up, and sighed. "Is this what it is? You're using Chinese food as a tactic for me to open up?"

Manuel shrugged. "It's worked before. I'm worried, too, Lizzie. And I don't worry." That made Elizabeth chuckle. Her brother was always easygoing, never worrying about anything that is out of his control. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, what makes you think I'm not?" Elizabeth questioned, stabbing her noodles with the fork. "I can't talk about it, it's—"

"Lizzie, you can trust me. I know I give you shit about todo, but I'm still your brother."

"It's complicated, Manny," Elizabeth spoke. "But I'm fine. I just— I guess I miss Simon," Elizabeth admitted. "And Clary, too. They've just— forgot about me, I assume. I know I'm younger and while they— while they're in college, they just forgot about high school. And I'm just—"

"They're not real friends, if they make you feel like that, you don't need them," Manuel interrupted. "But, I know you're keeping other things inside, too. What about Lennox?"

Lennox. The last time she seen Lennox was at the wedding, Lennox had left to the Jade Wolf to talk to Luke and tell him what had happened. She hadn't talked to Lennox since, and she hadn't talked to Simon since. Elizabeth felt alone.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Manuel asked. Elizabeth's eyes had began to water, and a tear fell down her cheek. With a big brother instinct, instead of laughing at her which he'd done when they were younger, he pulled her into a hug. "You're making me soft, Lizzie."

"It's about time," Elizabeth chuckled into his shoulder. They stayed in a hug until Elizabeth felt ready to pull back. She wiped her eyes. "Who knew senior year was going to be emotional?"

"It's your last chance to be a kid, wait until college to worry about emotions," Manuel responded. "Can you at least tell me why you come home late?"

Elizabeth looked at her brother, and sighed. "Manny, you wouldn't believe me if I told you. But I can't, I wish I could. Just—don't ask me again, please. It's really not my place to say. And I'm safe, you don't have to worry about that."

"Lizzie, I'm too young to be an uncle."

"I didn't mean it like that!" Elizabeth immediately responded, her face getting red. "I mean, I have people watching out for me— besides you, mami and papi."