4- Treason

Worcestershire, August 6th, 23.45 hours

"What do we have? Apart from dead Aurors and a destroyed manor," Hermione asked, walking up to another smoking ruin. Stepping around a body in red robes that looked like he had been smashed by a giant.

"Same kind of spells as used against the Minister's manor. Probably same caster too," Dean answered her. "And dead Notts."

Hermione nodded. "Any survivors?"

"Theodore Nott wasn't at home, but with his girlfriend. His parents were killed, as were the Aurors guarding them and the house elves."

"None of the attackers were killed?"

"If the attackers suffered any losses, then they took the bodies with them when they retreated or vanished them."

"Why weren't we alerted in time? They can't have broken the wards that quickly."

Dean shrugged. "We moved as soon as we received the news. Someone must have delayed the alert."

Hermione nodded, her lips pressed into a thin line. Both of them knew what that meant.

Treason within the Ministry.

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

London, Ministry of Magic, August 7th 1999, 10.05 hours

"I don't want to hear excuses, I want results! Before anyone else shares the fate of the Nott family." Lucius Malfoy glared at the wizard who was supposed to be his closest ally, Augustus Rookwood, Head of the Department of Mysteries.

The Unspeakable seemed unperturbed by Lucius's outburst. He simply shrugged. "We're working on the issue. But the needed secrecy hampers our efforts somewhat."

Lucius controlled himself with an effort. "You've had almost 20 years to find a solution. Now the Dark Lord is back and coming straight for us."

Rookwood waved his artificial left hand as if it did not concern him. "Nott was a fool, thinking his manor's wards could stop the Dark Lord. Or trusting the Aurors to respond in time," the man added with a sly smile.

"Whether the fatal delay was due to treason or stupidity, the people responsible for it will be found and punished," Lucius declared.

"By your mudbloods."

"If the Aurors cannot deliver results. The Wands have already proven themselves to be more effective than the Aurors." Lucius met the man's eyes. Rookwood had his Unspeakables, and the secrets hidden in the vaults beneath the Department of Mysteries, but without Lucius's Wands he'd fall to the Dark Lord, whose knowledge of the Dark Arts was second to none.

"And they're now casting the Unforgivables. Rather dangerous, isn't it?"

"Only for our enemies." The Aurors had been authorised to use the formerly forbidden spells as well, as planned, but Lucius didn't expect much to come of that - they lacked the training to use them effectively.

"Of course," Rookwood said, with just a hint of amusement. "In any case, we have time. You and I are protected by the wards and the Wands  of the Ministry. Meanwhile, Antonin is already hunting our former comrades. He might take a few of them down and distract the Dark Lord before his death."

Lucius nodded. Dolohov was a very good duelist, and had a gift for both fighting and torture, but that was as far as his talents went. He was no great loss. Even Karkaroff, hiding behind the wards of Hogwarts, was more useful. "Will the trap you built into his arm have a chance to take out the Dark Lord?"