8- The Investigation

London, Ministry of Magic, August 23rd, 1999, 08.00 hours

"Please have a seat."

Lucius Malfoy nodded at Albert Selwyn. The young wizard sat down obediently. Officially, he was here to give a weekly report from the Misuse of Muggle Artefacts Office - a division of the Office for the Detection and Confiscation of Counterfeit Defensive Spells and Protective Objects that was tasked with hunting down dangerous muggle artefacts brought into Wizarding Britain. Unofficially, Albert was here to report about the rather clandestine things he did for Lucius. Such as ensuring that regularly there were dangerous muggle artefacts to hunt down and show the population of Wizarding Britain that associating with anything muggle was unwise. Or doing whatever else Lucius needed to be done, no matter the legality.

"John Dawlish was quite grateful for your handling of that cursed toy car," Lucius said, after glancing over the report. "Apparently, it hurt one of his Aurors severely before you appeared on the scene."

Albert nodded, his expression not changing.

To think a full-fledged Auror had not been able to handle a cursed muggle item! Sometimes Lucius wondered if he had gone too far when he lowered the requirements for becoming an Auror. On the other hand, many pureblood families were happy that prestigious positions, such as Aurors, were now held by the right kind of wizards and witches. And if he hadn't lowered the requirements, then the only Aurors would have been those smart and ambitious enough to study on their own while in Hogwarts - exactly the kind of people Lucius didn't trust among the Aurors.

Albert was ambitious as well, of course, but as an orphan with poor prospects, a family member the rich part of the Selwyn family didn't want to acknowledge, he owed his position to Lucius.

Lucius looked up again. "Good work."

"Thank you, sir."

"What did you find out about the Department of Mysteries's latest scheme?" Rookwood was up to something, Lucius was certain.

"I've been very discreet, sir, so progress has been rather slow. Though I've confirmed that the Department has been in contact with various scholars. Those specialising in the Great War."

Lucius nodded, hiding his reaction to that news. The Great War. Over 150 years ago, when the Magical Ottoman Empire had been pushed out of the Balkans in the bloodiest conflict in magical Europe until Grindelwald's War. There were dozens of stories about forbidden magics and dark artefacts being used in that conflict, laying waste to much of the land that was liberated. A lot of it was made up, of course. Like the tales of genies altering reality itself by granting wishes. But the destruction was real. If Rookwood managed to acquire such artefacts… they would be useful against the Dark Lord, but could Lucius trust his 'ally' not to use them against himself first?

He couldn't, of course. "Find out more about what the Unspeakables are seeking. Question those scholars. But ensure that you're not seen, or remembered." It wouldn't do to tip off the Department of Mysteries.

"Yes, sir."

"Only secure one of those scholars if you can cover it up."

"Yes, sir."

Lucius stared at the other wizard. Was that a hint of resentment? Or just wounded pride? Albert had talent, but Lucius had taken over Wizarding Britain thanks to his cunning, driving both the great Dumbledore and Bellatrix Lestrange out and reforming the entire country! He knew better than to underestimate his enemies!

He smiled, hiding his thoughts, and nodded at the younger wizard. "How is your sister doing? Eager to return to Hogwarts for her second year yet?" A little reminder that more than Albert's career depended on his loyalty to the Minister never hurt.