Chapter 1

Right now is not the time for father to sing 'I will always love you' by Whitney Houston, that too with more devotion and emotion than he had when he was giving her a performance for her birthday, in front of her grave,which was so embarrassing, we got looks from so many people in that area. I wished he was drunk but boy he's better when he's drunk.

It's my mother's death anniversary. Are we sad? No. Are we happy? Maybe. Why? She's in a better place than we are right now.

"Father are you done?" I ask, giving him a literal side-eye.

"Yes, I'm done. I hope she loved it, I drank lemon honey water before singing." He says putting his sunglasses back on and both of us walking towards his car.

He throws me the keys, pointing at the car to let me know that he's allowing me to drive us home. Wow I'm so honoured. I eye-rolled and made sure he saw it too.

My father's not that tall, he's only 6ft. But he looks tall only because he's lean. Me? I'm 5'6. No one believes me when I say that I play volleyball. It's not my fault my family jinxed my height when I was 13.

"Drop me home and then take the cycle to school, I need the car today." He says, putting his seatbelt on while I switch on the car.

"Yes sir, do you want me to make you breakfast also?" I give him a sarcastic smile.

"Eve, shut up and drive." He slaps my arm and I drive to our home. Our precious home.

It only takes us around 35 minutes to get home, we both woke up at 4am to visit my mom, because both of us aren't free later. More like father isn't free and he doesn't want me to go alone.

Once we reach home, I grab my cycle and rush towards the coffee shop before entering school. The coffee shop is around the corner of the street.

I enter and stand in line to order. I hear a buzz on my phone

- WHERE YOU AT BROWN WHORE? -

I smiled and texted back

-AT THE COFFEE SHOP YOU UNFLAVORED WHORE -

By the time I sent that text it was my turn to order .

"Good morning, how are you doing?" The waitress, whom I know but don't know at the same time since Richard is the one who comes before me asks, giving that classic fake smile. I know, because I work here too.

"Hi, I'm good, I'd like one iced hazelnut latté, with an extra shot of espresso thank you." I give her the money and go wait at the other side of the counter to get my drink. I just realised half my salary goes back to this place.

I'm scrolling through Google news (I like sports news for some reason) when I see a drink put next to me. I immediately take it and then take a sip, giving a scowl.

"What the... is this poison?" I say giving a glance at what I'm drinking. This isn't my drink. This is a psychopaths drink. Iced americano. I don't care what anyone says, no one actually enjoys whatever this is. I like coffee, but I also like sugar and milk. At least put sugar. It's the least you can do to your poor body.

I hear someone clear their throat. "That's mine. Maybe look before you take a sip." Says the meanest looking hottest looking woman I have seen with my own two eyes. Did she come out of my TikTok?

"I don't have time for this." She sighs.

She doesn't even give me time to reply she snatches the drink from my hand and takes out the straw from it and replaces it with another clean one from the counter.

"First of all, you should've said something before I grabbed it, maybe you're just slow." I smile.

Please don't kill me hot lady. Because that death stare could give anyone a heart attack.