Chapter 3

I went to school for one week straight, but today, I broke my perfect streak. I skipped. Not because I overslept but because I had to have a panic attack in the morning. But it's all good now. Life's too short to bother about things like this. I was too tired so I ended up napping. 

I don't know what to tell my dad. If I tell him I had another panic attack he'll overthink and start to feel miserable all over again. I'll tell him I got my periods or something.

The next issue was catching up with what I missed today. Now, Ive got all subjects covered, except physics. I have no friends in that class. Ugh. 

I hear my phone ring and I pick it up. "WHERE THE FUCK DID YOU GO?" I hear my beloved white friend yell. "Dani, please don't yell, that's so embarrassing. I had a lil issue at home." I reply in a very calm and cool tone, because I am calm and cool. Ice woman. "Oh. Oh my God did you have another panic attack?" She whispers. I'm pretty sure she's whisper yelling but okay. 

"Yeah. But it's all good. Do you want to drop me off to the coffee shop? It's almost time for my shift and I can't take today off." I inform her and ask her at the same time. I can hear her ponder over it. "Ok, but I want a free coffee." I smile. I always give her free coffee. "Sure" I reply. I end the phone call and change into my work fit, which is just a black tee and a black pant, with the coffee shop's 'employee' written at the back and my name tag pinned on my shirt. It's a very budgeted uniform but hey, this economy ain't helping anyone.

In a few minutes, Dani shows up and I get into her car. "How many traffic laws did you violate while coming here?" I tell her, hoping she actually broke none, unlike last time where she hit a pole and then also got caught speeding. She looks at me and grins, "None." Thank God. 

It was a very comfortable silent ride. Neither of us were in the mood for a proper conversation and I appreciated her not asking me about today morning. I did not want to talk about it too much. I like ignoring a lot of my problems, I don't deny it, I just leave it for later. 

When we finally arrive, I rush to the back entrance because I'm 2 mins close to clocking in late. Once I'm done clocking in and I greet Richard, who is a very sweet Indian American guy, I go to make the first 2 orders since Richard is struggling to do it quickly. New guy needs more training. Bro was barely able to make my order.

I can feel someone's presence at the counter and I look to my left, noticing Richard, still trying to make the sandwich, so I cover for him and go to the counter. "Good afternoon, how can I- oh Hi Miss." No, because why is she here. She looks up from her phone and frowns at me. Wow, rude?

"What are you doing here?" She asks and I scoff. "Stalking you, why?" I tell her, while also patiently waiting for her to order because I see someone else coming right behind her and Im still stuck with making my 2nd order. She sighs, "An Iced Americano, no sugar, less ice and an extra shot of espresso." That's truly poison. "Why?" I ask her, shocked at my own voice. That was supposed to stay in my mind. 

She looks confused.  "What do you mean why?" I shake my head, "I mean, why not try something better?" She raises her eyebrows, and pauses for a second, contemplating about it. "Surprise me then." She concludes.

Is she serious or is she joking? I pray she's serious. "Really?" I ask her raising one eyebrow. She nods, "Yes. Surprise me." She gives me her card for me to bill her. I think about it for a good 5 seconds, and I give her her card back. I'm not going to let her pay me for this. If she doesn't like it, then it's going to be a waste of money. "I won't bill you. But if you like it, you can pay for it next time." I inform her because she's giving me a very annoyed look and I'm scared. God knows what she might throw at me. She sighs again, "Okay, just make it drinkable please." She says and I almost widen my mouth in shock. Literally anything is better than a plain iced americano, that too with no sugar.