Chapter Two

Florence:

I texted Charlotte before I replied to my other friends. I needed her to pretend I stayed at her house last night before Emma and Kevin got any other ideas. If I was honest, I really didn't mind telling them about Eric and I, I trusted them enough to not blab their mouths to everyone, even if I knew it was very hard for them to do sometimes. It wasn't me that didn't want to tell our friends, it was Eric.

I always wondered why he was so secretive about it. I mean, he knew by now I understood he didn't want a relationship didn't he? Was there something wrong with me? Was he embarrassed by me? Why was it always on his terms? These were the questions running through my mind as the water cascaded down my body in the shower. I was getting myself riled up for no reason, I knew I would never ask Eric any of the things I wanted to, I didn't want to seem needy or like I cared that much.

I finished in the shower and checked my phone again. Emma had called me twice since I had left my room to go and shower. I rolled my eyes and smiled. She really needs to calm down, I thought to myself. I got changed into a pair of jeans, a baggy sweatshirt and my converse before attempting to throw my messy brown hair into a pony tail. I always like to keep my hair just below my shoulders but it had grown out a little, still not enough to put up without little strands of hair falling out. I pinned them back up and grabbed my phone to call Emma.

"Hey!" she said as soon as she answered. I winced at her loudness, holding the phone a bit father from my ear for a second.

"Hello Emma." I said unenthusiastically.

"Were going to the mall for lunch. Meet us there in a half an hour. That is, unless you have other plans like you did last night. You better tell us everything Florence." She said brightly without taking a breath. I laughed lightly at her.

"There's nothing to tell. I'll see you there." I hung up before she could begin to rant on about something else.

I looked at myself quickly in the mirror one last time before grabbing my phone and money. Fetching my car keys from the bowl on the kitchen island and heading out the door, I quickly said goodbye to my dad and made my way to the mall.

The drive was quick but it felt like forever when my thoughts about Eric tumbled around in my mind, I really needed to stop but I just couldn't. I was trying to weigh up my options but there really wasn't many. I didn't want to think about it anymore because I felt some uncertainty about the whole situation, I really needed to have a talk with Eric.

I parked my car and found Emma, Kevin and Charlotte waiting at the entrance of the mall for me. We headed straight for the food court. It wasn't until I sitting there with my meatball marinara sub that I realized how hungry I actually was, I hadn't eaten anything today. Charlotte sat down across from me and looked around, probably trying to find Kevin and Emma. I tucked in without saying a word.

"Hungry?" she asked me, her signature dark eyeliner made her hazel eyes to pop.

"Mmm." I attempted to talk with a mouthful of my sandwich in my mouth. I noticed she was trying to find the words to talk, which was unusual for Charlotte.

She was always very straight with everyone, she didn't care about offending anyone and she just told us to deal with it. Sometimes she could come across as cold but she was just a strong minded and opinionated girl, she was sweeter with us too because of course, we were her friends. She looked down at her plate and then back up at me again, opening and closing her mouth like she couldn't get the words out.

"So why am I lying for you?" she finally spoke. I felt uncomfortable now, I didn't know what to say.

"I was out last night and I don't want anyone to know where I was."