The Alpha's Daughter - chpt. 2

Chapter Two

            “Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!” A girl shouted at the group of us. Upon arriving to the camp we were all shuffled into a big building with bleachers on one side and a stage at the other. They called it Mass Hall.

            The woman standing on the stage looked about twenty-five and had bright red hair and a large nose that seemed to twist to one side. She was small and used big hand motions to make up for her size, because of this she was almost comical to watch.

            “Welcome new and old wolves to Camp Luna! Here you will connect with wolves from all over the country and will learn our history, religion, and government system while enjoying your stay that is jam packed with fun activities!”

            “I so don’t want to be here,” a girl behind me whispered. I put my hand to my cheek and sighed, at least I wasn’t the only one being forced here by their parents.

            “First things first! We want all of you to get to know each other. There are just over one hundred members this year, and we believe it’s important for everyone to know each other! Wolves are pack animals after all!” There was a scattered chuckle but obviously she had been hoping we’d all laugh.

            She cleared her throat and said, “I’m Shelly, lead camp director. Shane is our creative advisor, Kim handles the housing problems, our cooking team is over there, and Mr. Potts is our teacher here.” She waved her hand at a group of people standing around the stage. They didn’t look overly excited, but who was at seven thirty in the morning?

            Shelly clapped her hands together and shook her hair out of her face before turning back to us all. “To start off, I’d like you all to go around and talk to as many people as you can!” When no one moved Shelly added, “The one who can name the most people at the end gets a prize!”

            Suddenly people were up on their feet, talking and laughing with each other. I stood up and rubbed my hands on my jeans, wishing Ryan was here with me. He was a lot better with people.

            “Hi,” a girl said next to me, “I’m Redly.” I smiled at her and offered her my hand. She shook it and smiled back. I was suddenly relived she had singled my out, if not, I would have remained standing alone.

            “Ebony,” I introduced. I looked Redly over, drinking in the finer details. She was tall and curvy with brown hair that just met her shoulders and solid brown eyes. She seemed nice, normal. As I dissected her she seemed to be doing the same with me.

            “Choice or force?”

            I laughed, “Force, you?”

            “Choice,” she said with a smile. “Last summer it was force, I chose to come back.”

            “Did you have fun?”

            Redly shrugged, “No, but I learned a lot. And not everyone was terrible I guess.”

            I nodded and looked around, girls seemed to be cliquing while the boys were still straying around the outside, not eager to enter the madness just yet. Redly and I stood awkwardly together, neither knowing how to make the conversation last.

            “I’m Christie,” one girl said, coming up to Redly and I. She had all the assets of a Barbie—minus the blonde hair. Her smile was acidic as she scanned me, I could tell by her expression she was regretting coming over here. “Yeah…”