The Alpha's Daughter - chpt. 3

The Alpha’s Daughter

Chapter Three

            The Cafeteria was enormous, big enough to fit a hundred wolves and fifty or so teachers and leaders. I was seated with Redly and four other people I didn’t know. Looking around, I noticed that most people didn’t seem to be comfortable where they were seated, no one really knew each other all that well yet.

            Well except for the wolves who were here last year. Although Redly claimed that all the friends she made last year hadn’t returned for another summer. We both picked at our food and mumbled words to each other. It was hard to talk when we were seated with strangers.       

            There were a few fights that broke out as the males claimed their specific territories and the lower ranking wolves were set in their places. Female wolves who were of higher ranking also claimed dominance, but they used cutthroat looks and viscous words instead of growls and fists.

            It wasn’t long into the meal that I found him. I hadn’t been aware I was even looking for Axel until his eyes met mine. My wolf hummed contently in the back of my mind but the human side of me felt upset.

            He met my gaze unblinkingly and with no sort of emotion at all. He was sitting by himself, not eating, with his arms crossed over his chest. I took that moment to look at the rest of him, the only thing I had noticed earlier was his eyes.

            He had dark brown hair that seemed to turn auburn at the edges when it caught the light. His skin was tanned, and his jaw was strong and square. His nose was crooked at the bridge but that only seemed to make his face more appealing. His cheekbones were high and prominent, like the cheekbones of a model.

            Even after outright staring at him, I still couldn’t decide if he was good looking. I found him attractive, yes, but that was because of the mating bond. I wondered briefly if other girls thought he was attractive. I felt a growl start in my chest and quickly swallowed it down, feeling startled that such a reaction was produced from a mere thought.

            “Ebony?”

            I snapped my head around to look at Redly, whose brown eyes were trained on my face. “Yeah?”

            “You alright?”

            I forced myself to nod, smile, and eat. I didn’t look back at Axel for the rest of the meal but I could feel his gaze on me. After we had finished eating and we had cleared our plates Redly and I headed outside, intent on joining the rest of the group at the lake.

            “Your shoe is untied,” Redly informed me. I looked down at my sneaker and sighed, moving to the side of the crowd so I could bend down and tie it. “I’ll save you a seat!” Redly shouted at me as she walked. I waved at her once and then turned my attention to my shoe.

            My knot was messed up when someone grabbed a hold of my arm and dragged me upwards. I knew who it was before I saw their face. The sparks travelling the length of my arm was enough to tell me it was Axel.

            He was leading us behind the building and I instantly felt a leaden ball drop into my stomach. I tried to rip my arm out of his hold but it was useless, he was too focused on what he was doing to even notice that I was struggling.

            “Will you please just let me—”

            “I want to get something straight,” he rumbled, cutting me off. I narrowed my eyes at him, feeling my heart rate pick up by the double. Every time he spoke he mumbled almost incoherently in his deep voice. It was hard to understand what he was saying at times.