golden meadow

My eyes fluttered open and I realized I had fallen asleep. I rubbed my eyes and looked around to see Toby, how had his arm wrapped around me. He seemed to have dozed off as well, but he was still sleeping peacefully. I sighed softly and leaned back against him.

Even if I am in this terrible situation, having someone who truly understands what's happening was nice.. to say the least.

The sun beamed in through the open door of the boxcar, making everything seem a little warmer in color. The train rumbled on the tracks as a subtle breeze floated through the car. I glanced outside to see where we were, it was the middle of a field. I could see the pine forest was in the far distance. The field was filled with tall golden grass that swayed in the wind as the train drove by. For a split of moment I felt all the dread and anxiety in my body disappear.

Toby mumbled something in his sleep and wrapped his other arm around me. I decided to stay still and let him, he was so pale that he looked almost dead, and his eyeballs showed he hasn't gotten good sleep. Toby started to lean on me more and the uneven weight made caused us to tip over until we were laying on the floor.

Toby started to mumble again, "Ooh.. no.. that.. dont..." he squeezed me a little tighter. I chuckled quietly to myself, wondering when he would actually wake up. I was laying on my back and Toby was laying to my side with a firm grasp.

For someone who is usually an awkward mess, he sure is clingy as all hell. Especially for a serial killer... right now he looked almost peaceful. I simply can't beleive someone like him would for for someone like Slenderman.

Toby's head twitched slightly almost knocking into mine. I tried to gently tug on his sleeve, "Toby.. come on.. wake up.." I said as gently as possible. I didn't want to end up on the receiving end if he kept on twitching. Toby grumbled and ended up hugging me closer, the opposite of what I was trying to accomplish at the moment.

I tugged on his sleeve a little harder, "Toby, it's time to wake up.." I said. He still didn't budge, instead he twitched and mumbled something else. I groaned quietly and was about to pull on his sleeve harder, but I was interrupted by a loud train whistle.

"HUUAGH-" Toby was startled awake and jumped back in suprise at the noise. Toby was wide eyed and had his hand over his chest as if he was trying to catch his breath. I rubbed the back of my head that was hit on the floor when Toby had jumped awake, "Ow.."

Toby's gaze quickly went over to me, "Oh I-Im sorry.. did I w-wake y-you up..?" He said softly. "No.. no I was already awake..." I said, sitting up. Toby was trembling from the sudden scare in his sleep and he laid back down on the floor to compose himself. "Oh... o-okay..." Toby said shakily, his face paler than snow.

I chuckled and put my face in my hands, "I can't beleive that was the thing that woke you up...". Toby shook his head before rubbing his ears with his palms, "I-it hurt my e-ears..." he said quietly, "w-what time i-is it..?"

I shrugged looking out at the sun, "I don't know...". The sun seemed low, so it was probably late afternoon. Toby looked out the open door too, scooting himself closer to see. "Woah.. I-I've never been this f-far out.." He said, staring at the endless field of tawny grass. "Me neither..." I said, scooting myself next to him.

I let out a sigh as I watched the land fly by. I looked over to Toby and me seemed like he was in awe at the field. His face seemed to get a little more color as the wind blew through his hair. I was just suprised because this is the most calm I've ever seem him. His features and expression seemed softer than they did before. And his eyes weren't as panicked-looking.

But once I caught myself staring for a few seconds too long I quickly looked back at the landscape. I felt a hint of embarrassment for looking at him a few seconds longer than needed. But for some reason I wanted to looked back.