Lost Thoughts.

TRIGGER WARNING AHEAD
[Y/N] - Your Name.
Word Count : 4872
——————————————————————————

"And how close would you say you were to Anne?"

You shuffled in your seat, clenching your jaw and feeling uncomfortable altogether as whole. Not only had you witnessed Anne's dead body, you were now a prime suspect in this investigation and there was nothing worse than being blamed for something you hadn't done. You cleared your throat, running a hand through your hair and giving a soft shrug.
The chair beneath you was cold and hard, the table in front of you was the same. You weren't handcuffed, which was something you was seriously thankful for, but the light within this room seemed brighter than necessary. The investigator in front of you was in his mid fifties, white hair and a wrinkled forehead. He wore a suit, real professional looking.

"You aren't in trouble, kid," it was weird that he addressed you like that, like he felt guilty that you were part of this mess. He sighed and rubbed his temple. "You're just a witness, alright? Anything you might know will help us in this investigation." You pursed your lips. That's right, there was something you knew and yet there was an urge that you shouldn't even whisper it. The envelope, what she said to you. Shaking your head, you gave another shrug.

"We weren't that close. She was nice, friendly, I think she helped me moved some stuff in when I first came this way. Anne had arguments a lot, with someone or herself, I don't know. You could hear it late at night and sometimes it became unbearable, but the next morning when you saw her, she was fine with smiles and such." You looked down, it hit you that she was dead. She died alone, disfigured and suddenly you clasped a hand over your mouth and felt soft tears flow down your cheeks. "Oh, god.." you mumbled, feeling uneasy knowing that you had been smelling her for months. "I didn't know what a body smelt like, I thought maybe it was her fridge, you know?" The investigator sighed and pulled out a packet of tissues from his breast pocket before pulling one out and handing it to you.
"Here," he said with a soft smile, welcoming and warm, kinda like a grandpa. He sure looked like one. Giving him a soft smile, you didn't decline before taking the tissue and wiping your eyes.
"Does her family know?" you asked finally after a couple beats of silence. The investigator didn't seem to bare good news, that was evident by the expression across his face. He wasn't going to give away such information like that, this was an active investigation and he didn't want you to run off to the press to talk about the case. His face gave you enough information and slowly, you gave a nod.

Anne always seemed alone but she seemed happy, the night you saw her was genuinely the first time she seemed frightened and now you were contemplating whether or not to feel frightened too. The investigator sat back and that disturbed you from your thoughts as you looked up at him.
"Your mom is outside," he said in a gentle voice and immediately, you wished he hadn't spoke at all. It made sense as to why she was here at the station, but you needed to gather your thoughts and having her here right now wasn't going to help you much. With a heavy sigh, you nodded.

The interview felt as if it only lasted an hour and as the chair scraped back and you stood from the table, you shot another look at the investigator. Should you mention the envelope now? Or what Anne had said to you.
"Do I get to know a funeral date?" you asked, which now seemed like a stupid question. The investigator gave a weary smile, he didn't have the answer and it was obvious by the look in his eyes. You nodded, his eyes said enough and you returned a warm smile. As you approached the door, his voice broke the silence.

"Be safe, alright? Maybe stay at your moms." You took in his words but you wouldn't comply to them, staying back at your moms house felt like hell itself and you really didn't want to deal with her more than you had to when you left the room.
"Thanks," you replied before opening the door.