Chapter three

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"She wasn't sad anymore, she was numb. And numb, she knew, was somehow worse." - Atticus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

💫 Maya 💫

The next few hours went by very slowly. They asked me my name so I wrote it down for them. After they took some blood, they put me in a small room with a couch that looked very comfortable. It was now 19.00 but I can't go to sleep, I haven't had dinner yet. First dinner, then sleep, that's how it has always been. 

After sitting on the couch and looking around the room for another hour and a half, I heard a knock on the door. Another woman came in with a plate of food. 

"Hey darling, I'm Sabine, I am your social worker. I brought you some dinner." She said with a nice looking smile. I tried to look her in the eyes and smile, but I couln't do it. She looks nice, she deserves a smile in answer, but no matter what I tried, I couln't get my lips to form the smile. It has been years since I smiled at something other than music. 

After she set the plate down on the side table, she sat next to me on the couch. "So we got the blood results, you have a biological father and brothers who live in Spain. They were very happy to learn you exist and will be here in the morning. Try to get some sleep okay?" I nodded and started to eat the dinner. 

Sabine stood up and walked out the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts. What did she mean with "Learn you exist"? How can a father not know he has another child? Brothers? that means a lot of mess for me to clean up and a lot of food for me to cook. What if they don't like my cooking? What if they need money and decide to sell me to him again? 

After finishing my plate, I put it down on the side table. I open my backpack and put on my pj's, getting ready to go to sleep on the couch. It's now 21.50, later than I usually go to bed. Eventhough the couch is very comfy, I can't sleep right away, thinking about how much things have changed the past day.

Álvaro ♚

Today has been a long day, apparently I only hire imbecils because no one knows how to do a damn thing right. How hard is it to give me the right papers after I asked for them? Well that person was obviously fired. 

After my wife left 17 years ago, a few months after the birth of Hugo, I closed off and focussed on my work. I loved her but I guess it was never enough for her. She always wanted everyone to be perfect and when they weren't, she decided they were not worth her time anymore. 

Luckily the youngest three don't really remember her, but I know her leaving left a big mental scar on Damien and Lucas. 

Ever since Damien has taken over as the CEO of the company 2 years ago, I have a little more free time to spend with the boys. But it still feels like it's not enough to make up for all the years where I wasn't mentally present for them. In those years, they always went to Damien when they should've come to me, their father. 

After a long day like today, I usualy take a nice, long bath after dinner with everyone. Then I take a little me-time with a glass of whiskey and a good book. I know, I don't sound like the big scary man everyone thinks I am, but that's only in the safety of my own room, not even the boys know this side of me. 

While I'm relaxing in the bathtub, I hear my phone ringing. It's 20.00, who would call at this hour??

"Hello?"

"Hi, this is Sabine with child protective services in the Netherlands. Am I speaking with Álvaro Sanchéz?" Child protective services in the Netherlands? What the hell is going on? Did Mateo steal the private jet again??

"Yes this is him. What is this about?"

"I am here with a 16 year old girl, Maya Walters, her step-father was arrested for drug possesion. In searching for a relative to take Maya in, we did a blood test and turns out you are her biological father. Would you like to take custody of her?" 

Biological father? What the hell? I don't have a daughter? "What? No, I don't know who she is but I don't have a daughter. Are you sure she is mine?"

"Yes sir, we are sure. Her mother, Lena, has died 7 years ago unfortunately. You and your sons are her closest living relatives." Lena? My wife. She was pregnant? How could she take my unborn child from me without telling me?

"Uhm, okay. I would love to take custody of her. I will be there tomorrow morning, is that okay?"

"Ofcourse sir, see you tomorrow."

Okay damn, so Lena is dead, she was pregnant when she left. I have another kid. I have a daughter! I am unwell. How can I take care of a teenage girl? What do girls like? Ah shit, what if I fuck everything up?

I jump out of the tub, dry myself off and put on some clothes. When I walk into the hallway I shout "BOYS, everyone in the living room in five minutes!" I hope this goes well.

Five minutes later, everyone is in the living room except for Mateo. I decide it's not worth shouting for him again, he won't come.

"So boys, I just got a phonecall from a child protection service officer in the Netherlands. She has a Maya in custody. Maya is your sister. When your mother left 17 years ago, she was pregnant with a girl. Lena herself has died 7 years ago and het step-father was arrested for drug possesion so I have taken custody of her. I will get her in the morning with Daniel. We leave in half an hour. Any questions?"

The boys take a few seconds to take it all in, so i take my time to look at their reactions. Hugo looks like a toddler on a sugar rush right before bed, he's going to break some things while jumping up and down in a few minutes. 

Martín looks like he's about to cry, he always looks like he will kill you with a flick of the wrist because of his athletic build. But he is just a teddy bear and loves to cuddle with everyone.

Lucas doesn't really show much emotion, he never does, but I know deep inside he hopes for someone who will listen to all his stars and sience shit. He loves the stars and sience and everything that comes with it.

Daniel looks about ready to jump up and grab his bag to sprint out the door. He is also the first to say something. "Maya? That's a really nice name."

"That it is, let's hope she is as nice as her name. I don't think I can handle another Mateo. Speaking of Mateo: who wants to fill him on on the big news?" I know no one wants to do it, but someone has to. We can't just drop a teenage sister on him without telling him first.

"Not me."
"I'm out."
"I already have to be his twin, I shouln't have to do this as well."

"Why don't you guys figure that out and Daniel and I will be going now." I need to get out of here, I want to see my bebé as soon as possible. 

I go upstairs to grab my to-go bag, all the boys have one, in case we need to go somewhere quickly. Don't get me wrong, we are not in the mafia or something, but we are notourious in Spain and have a few enemies here and there.

On the stairs down, I see Daniel is already standing at the door, ready to go. We walk to the car and the driver sets course to the airport.

I'm coming for you mi amore.

A/N - thank you for reading!

I love you <3