Twenty-Six: Over The Edge.

"We're getting close," Nick whispered in Ali's ear.

"Where are we going?" Ali stifled a nervous giggle. Grass prickled under her feet. The scents of honeysuckle and lilacs drifted through the air. In the distance, she could hear water rushing and birds chirping.

"It's a surprise," Nick said, squeezing her hand. "But I promise it's good."

It was later that afternoon, and Ali was out with Nick. They'd met at the King James, and Ali had assumed they were going to go shopping, but then Nick had wrapped a blindfold around her and said that where he was taking her next was something she couldn't see until they got there. As far as she knew, they'd gotten into a taxi, Nick was whispering the directions so Ali wouldn't hear. The drive had been about fifteen minutes, and gravel crunched under the tires when they arrived.

"You know, I must really trust you," Ali said now. "I wouldn't let just anyone lead me blindfolded."

"I'm honored," Nick said. "I just hope you like where we are."

After a few more steps, Nick stopped and pulled the cloth from her eyes. "Ta-da."

The first thing Ali saw was Nick's heartbreakingly cute face—those soulful eyes, those pink kissable lips, those cute locks of hair that curled over his ears. Behind him was a field full of flowers, and behind that was what looked like a rocky cliff. Water spilled over the sides and gushed into a gulley far below. Several kids splayed out on the big black rocks in varying degrees of nakedness. A plaid picnic blanket had been set up a few paces away, complete with a bottle of sparkling cider on ice, a long load of French bread, a wheel of cheese, and some grapes. A portable iPod stereo sat on the blanket, too, and hip-hop tinkled out of the speakers.

"Where is this?" she asked.

"Floating Man Quarry." Nick looked surprised. "You've never been here?"

Ali stared into the big, clear lake at the bottom of the cliff and shook her head. Spencer used to urge them to come here, but Ali had always refused, worried that everyone would like this place too much, which might make Spencer think she was cooler than Ali.

"The cliff-diving is amazing." Nick walked to the blanket. "People are always trying to shut this place down because they say it's dangerous, but no one's gotten hurt yet."

Ali sat down on the blanket next to him, noting the grass nearby was wet with dew and flecked with clover. Then Nick turned to her and kissed her softly on her lips. Her stomach swooped, and her head felt faint. Nick's hands brushed her shoulders. Then he pulled away and smiled bashfully at her.

"You're so amazing," he whispered.

"You, too," Ali said back.

Then Ali flopped onto the blanket and stared at the sky. Nick cut off a piece for her and slathered it with cheese. As she took it from him, he squeezed her hand again. "I'm serious, you know. This is, like, the best. I'm glad you came here with me today. I hope it makes up for missing the party last night."

"I'm glad I came, too," Ali said. But suddenly, for reasons she couldn't exactly explain, a sob rose into her throat. This was almost too nice. She turned away.

Nick paused from pouring two glasses of sparkling cider, lowering the large bottle to the blanket. "What is it?"

Ali shook her head. "Nothing. Sorry. I'm just being an idiot."

"Are you sure?"

A Jeep pulled up, and a few kids got out, stripped off their clothes, and walked to the edge of the cliff. Ali watched as they jumped off without even looking down first. Everything that had happened recently bubbled inside her, ready to spill over. Her sister. Her friends. it was more than she could take. Her problems felt like one of those snakes-in-a-can toys that had been at her grandmother's house: No matter how hard she tried to fit the lid back on, it kept popping off, the snakes jumping free.